Downgrading an HP Touchsmart IQ772.uk to XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Annie M, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annie M

Annie M Private E-2

My HP TouchSmart IQ772.uk arrived with Vista Home Premium installed, but as most of my existing software only runs properly under XP, I removed Vista and Installed XP Professional with Service Pack 3. The computer mainboard is an Asus A8SN-CF.

I managed to locate most of the necessary XP drivers quite easily, but am having difficulty in finding a suitable driver for the HP USB2.0 WLAN 'yellow question mark' item in the Device Manager. Also, too, for an item called 'Unknown device'. When I had Vista on the machine, the WLAN was described as HP 802.11 abg wiress LAN - Atheros Communications Inc. - 03/05/2007 - 2.0.0.140 - Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publish.

I tried the Unknown Devices utility downloaded from this site, but against USB2.0 WLAN it said : Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: Vid_0ace&Pid_b215, and against Unknown device : Unable to detect, Hardware ID: CF0000.

The nearest driver that I have been able to find is sp37364.exe downloaded from http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/161270
    This will not install directly from the .exe file, but after extracting netathrusb.inf using WinRAR, and installing it manually, I am getting the same description in Device Manager that I had for the Vista driver, but the driver will not install fully and work as it should.

Any help that you may be able to offer in identifying the correct driver will be truly appreciated. Also, I am not sure whether the missing 'Unknown device' is in any way relevant to this problem.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Here's a link to all the Atheros drivers. You'll need to know exactly which AR number your wifi card is (like AR5002G for example), but most model numbers have drivers at this link for Windows XP.
    http://www.atheros.cz/
    The most common ones are pretty much the first 7 or 8 model listed at the link above. However, after much research, it would appear that your PC has the AR5524 chip (I found this by extracting the Vista driver downloaded from HP and open the INF file with notepad). The AR5524 chip is actually the AR5007UG chip (that is the 'official' Atheros number). The link above has XP drivers for just about every Atheros chip except the AR5007UG :( You can try the AR5007G driver; install it thru the device manager, and install it even if you get warnings that it's not the right driver, and there's a good chance it will work.
    However.... after doing even more searching, I found out that a company called Zydas used the chip in a wifi card with the number ZD1211b. Zydas has been bought out by, you guessed it, Atheros. But I was able to find a direct download link for the ZD1211 wifi card for Windows 2000/XP after about 20 minutes of very creative Google-ing (I actually got the link in a German Linux/Ubuntu forum! And I don't speak a lick of German.... well, I know 'train station' is 'hauptbahnhof' or something really close to that ;) but you don't care. You're saying "shut up dlb, gimme the freekin' link already!' Yeah, I know). Here's the link (it's a direct link, the download dialog will open without routing you to a different web site).
    www.chronovault.net/static/ZD1211Bwin2kxp.zip

Good luck! Let us know if you get it working!

[dlb]
    :major

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

4. Annie M

Annie M Private E-2

Hello,

Thank you so very much for taking such an incredible amount of trouble in trying to answer my question.

First, I tried the Atheros AR5007G drivers that you suggested (there were in fact two .inf files in the download) but sadly both of them produced a similar error message - The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.

Then I tried the ZD1211 driver, which immediately seemed to be more promising. I ran the Setup.exe file from the download, and after re-starting the computer, when the Found New Hardware Wizard appeared, I navigated to the .inf file and followed the instructions. To my great disappointment, this produced a 'Cannot Start this Hardware' notice - screenshot attached for your information. I am also attaching a screenshot of the Device Manager taken at the same time.

You mentioned that you looked into sp26870.exe to discover the particular chip that I have in my machine. I also discovered that when I tried (unsuccessfully) to force my computer to install the driver from sp37364.exe it showed up in Device Manager with exactly the same driver details that had been appearing in Device Manager when Vista was installed. These are the details that I gave in my original posting. Would it please be possible for you to investigate sp37364.exe.

If you have any further suggestions, I would be most appreciative.

Annie

Attached Files:

5. Annie M

Annie M Private E-2

Hello,

Thank you so very much for taking such an incredible amount of trouble in trying to answer my question.

First, I tried the Atheros AR5007G drivers that you suggested (there were in fact two .inf files in the download) but sadly both of them produced a similar error message - The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.

Then I tried the ZD1211 driver, which immediately seemed to be more promising. I ran the Setup.exe file from the download, and after re-starting the computer, when the Found New Hardware Wizard appeared, I navigated to the .inf file and followed the instructions. To my great disappointment, this produced a 'Cannot Start this Hardware' notice - screenshot attached for your information. I am also attaching a screenshot of the Device Manager taken at the same time.

You mentioned that you looked into sp26870.exe to discover the particular chip that I have in my machine. I also discovered that when I tried (unsuccessfully) to force my computer to install the driver from sp37364.exe it showed up in Device Manager with exactly the same driver details that had been appearing in Device Manager when Vista was installed. These are the details that I gave in my original posting. Would it please be possible for you to investigate sp37364.exe.

If you have any further suggestions, I would be most appreciative.

Annie

Attached Files:

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hi.... :( I was really hoping one of those drivers would work... so, I dis-assembled SP37364 and found that the driver was written in 2006 and is for NT based Windows. This means it was written before Vista came out, and it's written for Windows 2000/XP. I have attached the critical files below in a zipped file called "Source". Extract, then use the device manager to install the driver. Try using the "Have Disk" method and point it to the unzipped "Source" folder, and if that doesn't work, try the "Search" a specific location method and use the location of the unzipped "Source" folder as the search parameter. Seems that you're not the only person out there having issues.

If "Source" doesn't do it, our last shot is to use the AR5212 drivers (this chip was mentioned in the dis-assembled "athrusb.sys" file from the "Source" folder). You can download this driver from the Atheros.CZ link I posted above. AR5212 is listed under "Note/Chipset" at the Atheros site. I think there's two or three different drivers; try 'em all!!! Good luck!
    If you need more help, feel free to post.

(The Atheros link I posted can be slow... you'll click the check mark for your desired driver and another page opens, you'll click "Download" at the bottom of the page and another page opens. When this page opens, just wait. It can take up to 2 or 3 minutes for the download dialog to open.)

Attached Files:

7. Annie M

Annie M Private E-2

Hello,

Once again, many, many thanks for your reply.

I was so hopeful that with the driver file (netathrusb.inf) contained in your 'Source' folder, we would get the wireless lan system up and running. Sadly, it was not to be, because I finished up with a message similar to the one that appeared after trying zd1211.inf yesterday. I am attaching a screenshot of the notice.

I tried your alternative suggestions from the Atheros site, but these brought me back once again to the same AR5007G drivers that I had downloaded, and tried, yesterday. I also tried the AR5212 drivers for Vista because, in order to get the sound working on the computer under XP, I had to use the original Vista sound driver, after using WinRAR to extract the .inf file from sp37373.exe

I ran a utility called Driver Agent, and I attach a screenshot of the analysis. I doesn't give us any help with the wlan, but for the first time it seems to identify the item that Device Manager describes as 'Unknown device' as BENQ T520ms. I have been told that the BB+ Module is a Philips device that is specific to the Vista system, and that no XP drivers have ever been available for it. Would you agree ?

I know it's a lot to ask, but if you have any further suggestions for the wireless lan, and for the Benq device, I should be most grateful.

Yours, Annie

Attached Files:

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:banghead I was hoping one of those would work. I dug deeper into the .sys file and it also lists the AR5523 chip. Try that driver from the Atheros link. If that doesn't work, all I can suggest is to buy a USB wifi adapter (about $25US at any PC shop) or try contacting HP tech support via the live chat. About a year ago I had one of the tech chat people link me to drivers that were "not to be shared. These drivers are for certified HP technicians only and have not been released to the public". This is what the tech guy told me. So, HP has the drivers (at least they did in my case) it was just a matter of getting the guy to let me have them. When chatting, be polite but assertive and don't take "no" for an answer. Maybe say that your job might be on the line if you can't get the PC running correctly. I don't want you to be unethical, but sometimes we have to do what we have to do to finish the job. Other than these suggestions, I've done my best. Good luck! Let me know if you get the wifi working. As to the BB+ and the BenQ device, I did some quick Googling, and found that MANY people need the same 3 drivers you need and it appears that nobody has found them. I'll keep up the hunt and I'll post anything that might be helpful...

[dlb]

9. Annie M

Annie M Private E-2

Hello,

Thank you for taking such an incredible amount of trouble in trying to solve my problems.

I accept what you are saying about these drivers, but I am also curious to know why, having battled to get all the other systems on the computer up-and-running, this should be the only thing that defies a solution.

Looking into Device Manager, the Device Instance Id on the USB2.0 WLAN window is given as USB\VID_0ACE&PID_B215\6&37E6974E&0&2. While I have been trying to solve this problem, I have downloaded and tried a large number of possible drivers, all of which are stored on my hard drive. When I did a search for 'USB\VID_0ACE&PID_B215' it found the file netathrusb.inf that was in your 'Source' folder, and also a file with the same name in a folder called 'vista-22.0.0.127-whql' which I am pretty sure that I downloaded from the atheros.cz site that you discovered, but I can't now remember which particular driver it was. When I did a search for '6&37E6974E&0&2' nothing was found. I'm not sure about the significance of the 6&37E.... string, but would I expect to find it in a driver file that was appropriate for my specific computer? Perhaps you know of a website that explains some of these mysteries!

Could I please ask one further thing. I am just wondering if I am going about the process of loading driver files in the right way.
    I right click on the line USB2.0 WLAN in Device Manager, and select 'Update driver'.
    In the Hardware Update Wizard I select 'Not this time'.
    On the next page I select 'Install from a list of specific locations (Advanced)'
    On the next page I select 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install'
    On the following page I highlight the line 'Network adapters'.
    On the next page I click on 'Have Disk'.
    On the next page I click on 'Browse' and then navigate to the folder containing the .inf file, and then click OK.
    This takes me back to the 'Install From Disk' box, where I then click on OK.
    After that, either something encouraging starts to happen, or else I get the dreaded 'The specified location does not contain information about your hardware' box.

Is there an alternative procedure that might get better results?

Thank you, once again, for listening.

Yours, Annie

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The steps you outlined above are dead-on. I can't think of anything else you can do other than trying HP tech-chat like I mentioned above, or buying a USB wifi adapter. I did find an HP tech support phone number for the UK (I'm assuming you're in the UK because of the model number). Here it is: 0870 010 4320 (8 p/min.) If you bought it at Dixons, Currys, or PCWorld, there's a different number:
    >Software Helpline: 0906 515 1180 (Calls are charged at £1.50/min from a BT land line,
    maximum call duration is 20 minutes)
    >Repair Service Line: 0870 901 3000 (Calls are charged at National Rate)
    >For out-of-warranty products (U.K. and Ireland only): 0906 470 0870 (60 p/min.)
    Here's a step-by-step on how to access the inside of the PC:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&dlc=en&product=3561187&rule=20560&lang=en
    I have also attached a picture of your motherboard with some info....
    GOOD LUCK! I hope some of this helps.... let us know what you end up doing (you really should try the tech chat; I'll bet they give you the driver for the wifi)

[dlb]

Attached Files:

11. Peckish

Peckish Private E-2

Hello Everyone.

I realise that this thread is approximately 1 month old now but I only found it through a Google search a few nights ago when I too was wondering about the possibility of downgrading from Vista to XP.
    The good news is that I have all devices working as normal including the troublesome 'unknown' ones.
    The first device, (BB+ Module (e.d), is the Multimedia Handset and I solved this problem by extracting the Drivers from Windows Media Version (MCE 2005) and editing the inf file to include the hardware code of the handset.
    The second device was the USB Wireless Network which I got going using a driver from SMC which also uses the Atheros 5007UG chipset. Again, it was just a matter of editing the inf file with the hardware code and it installed as normal.

If anyone is still interested in downgrading the TouchSmart series from Vista to XP I have uploaded all of the required files to Rapidshare at the following URL >> _http://rapidshare.com/files/138304105/XP_Driver_Backup.zip

The complete set is there and the total size is approximately 28 Mb. Please note that these are not 'true' installer files but a backup driver set that was made using Driver Magician and taken from my working XP Touchsmart. You just unzip the file and it will produce 13 Folders that are labeled according to the device. Simply start the 'New Hardware' wizard or 'update driver' and point it to the required folder.

There are only 2 small points that I did not pursue any further as I thought they were too trivial to bother with. The first one is that I did not look for an Enhanced Keyboard Driver to enable the use of the Blue 'Fn' keys as in it's present state the On/Standby, Volume and Mute work correctly.
    The second one is that I did not look for the correct SoundMax configuration utility as Windows configuration from the Control Panel does the job just as well. Apart from these two things, everything works as it should.

Regards to all,

Peckish.

12. Annie M

Annie M Private E-2

Thanks Peckish for your really useful information. At long last I've got the Wireless LAN working, and it's made such a huge difference to the computer that I can hardly believe it's the same machine.

The only remaining problem item now is to find a driver for the BB+ Module(e.d), which would allow the hand-held IR Controller to operate all the multimedia functions. I think that it's a Philips device, but that's about all.

Perhaps someone can help to track down, or even write, a suitable driver.

Many thanks,

Annie :)

13. DanB

DanB Private E-2

I acknowledge this thread is a bit stale now, but i was most happy to find it. Some great work in here and for that i say THANKS!

I am trying to downgrade the IQ775, which might be slighlty different than the UK version, but the mobo reference is identical.

I have used some of your drivers as well as some i found on my own, and i am up and running very well. I am on MCE2005.

One thing i found for the HP inetgrated module with bluetooth is an HP driver pack that worked wonderfully. I originally tried using the driver from the link here but kept getting a missing file for the Widcomm driver installation. I looked at the version of the file and used it to find an HP driver pack that was very close to the version posted. It is SP32598http://www.radarsync.com/driver/d214881-hp_usb_bt_transceiver_1.2

I had no luck with the system detecting the HD audio until i installed SP3. Then however, it went in great.

I am stuck however on several items:

I cannot get the SATA controller in as anything but the generic windows driver.

I cannot get USB 2.0 drivers on the host controllers.

Any ideas???

thanks in advance.

14. DanB

DanB Private E-2

doh!

I totally forgot - old habits die hard - i don't have to mess with usb so long as it shows a standard enhanced controller!

i had a brain cramp and was thinking about the windows 98 mess with usb. SORRY.

However, the stubborn SATA controller issue remains - i hae checked the hardware codes and they match - but no way xp is gonna release that standard pci controller for me.

any tricks there anyone remembers??

15. DanB

DanB Private E-2

While the SMC card drivers from Pekish do install and provide a connection - they also cause a "permanent receive" issue. Even with issuing no sent packets, the system constantly is receiving. There are no programs making network requests. this causes a severe slowdown on the system.

i installed a different usb network adapter and it did not have the constant receive.

16. DanB

DanB Private E-2

Well, i did figure out the sata driver......must be installed prior to SP3 update.

And the soundmax driver should be installed after the SP3 update because SP3 loads the UAA HD Audio driver.

But i am still lost on why the SMC drivers provided by Peckish never let the wireless network rest....constantly receiving packets even if no activity???

Any ideas mates?

Thanks in advance.

17. durham23jd

durham23jd Private E-2

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. Has anyone got the actual touchsmart application software to run on xp. HP says that it is only designed for vista and cannot be download.

Thanks,

Jason

18. muchofreeo

muchofreeo Private E-2

Hello Annie M!
    Found the cure for that BB+module(e.d) driver.
    I installed PCTV_MCE_Vista_XP_Setup by Pinnical software.
    This was the last driver I needed.
    XP Pro Media Center is working perfectly on my HP IQ775.
    Hope this helps Someone, Took me months to figure it out.

Latter,
    Muchofreeo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds