netgear routers - help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nathankidby, Aug 20, 2008.

1. nathankidby

nathankidby Private E-2

hi

Really could do with some help, ive had a netgear dg834gt through sky, for sometime but always had problems going wireless, so i purchased a new netgear rangemax dg834pn router.

i tryed connecting this up, and it would 'nt let me connect to the internet.

I spoke to sky and they have told me that i have to you use the netgear router i purchased of them and run my new router through that.

So i tryed that and it still wont connect. When going through the setup it says no adsl or provider detected

Is there anyone whos experinced any similar problems or anyone who can help me, ive been trying to figure it out for days and its driving me nuts.

Many Thanks

Nathan

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

thats unfortunate if thats their policy....your modem/router has a unique mac address and the isp will only allow mac id's that are in there system to connect to their service. you would think that they would allow you to use your own modem, but that just my be their reason to make more $ from you...you might want to see if you can change your mac address on the new router to match the old one....not sure if you can exactly...but maybe it will work

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds