The new computer I bought makes a lot of noise. Is this bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ColonelAngus, Mar 27, 2005.

1. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Hi.

My old P3 makes less noise when proccessing something than the new AMD I just got.

Is this bad? Does it even matter?

The hard drive is what makes the noise. You know what I mean - the grinding-processing noise. I think it's a cheap brand of hard drive and that why it makes more noise. My P3 has a Maxtor hard drive and it doesn't seem to be as loud.

The computer runs fine and hadles everything with no problems. The noise just bugs me.

Thanks for listening.

2. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Is the new drive bigger than the old one? If not, then take the drive from the old computer, and put it in the new one.

Is the case sitting on a hard surface?
    Then shut it down, lift up the case, and lay a piece of carpet under it, before setting it back down. Tape paper to the bottom of the carpet if you're worried about scratches. The carpet will absorb the vibrations from the case, and deaden the noise.

3. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

All good troubleshooting methods. Also just sharing experience. The brand name of the hard drive (assuming you know for sure its just the hard drive making the crunching sounds while processing or accessing something) makes a HUGE difference as well as age. Newer hard-drives tend to access data more quietly but newer doesn't always fix it. Newer big name brand HDD's will be quieter for sure. SO to me it doesn't sound like anythings wrong and if it really bugs you that much you can A) find a different place in the case to mount the drive or B) upgrade to a bigger/better/newer Hard drive.

I know in my case I had an old dell and it's hard drive was mounted on the front wall of the case it wasn't in a 3.5 inch bay slot or anything and it was just a loud drive to begin with as it's about 5 years old now.. but moving it to an open 3.5 slot did help a little as the noise was now focused into the middle of the case and not sitting on the edge.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Could be sign of future HDD failure.
    New PC? might read the warrenty info.
    Might want to back up any important data.
    Might also want to run HDD diagnostic utility, most are availbe here at MG or can download from HDD manufacture web, either way is free, just need to know what brand.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds