Its official!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dyamond, Dec 18, 2007.

1. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

K, so I’m losin my job. :( My boss told me mid January, is when he’d like to keep me until and next week he’s bringing in some girl that works at a dept. store that I assume I’ll have to train rolleyes

As I was talking to him he told me he’s laying me off not firing me.. I’m not sure I understand what the difference is but it still stinks. He told me that he has made a lot of big mistakes this year and this just might be one of them too. He also said I have a big heart and I’m a hard worker but I ask a lot of questions and he needs to go in a different direction. I don’t really understand what that means but I thought it was good to ask questions? He said he needs someone that will take the load off his back, funny thing is he hiring two new people (a new dispatcher -5th one this year- and the one replacing me) who he is going to have to train so he basically going to have no help because they wont know anything.. how is that getting things off his back? If he cant handle the few questions I have now.... At least I knew the procedures.

I’m kind of surprised at why he’s letting me go. I know sometimes forget to run the dishwasher and I’ve screwed a few numbers up.. that’s it. I don’t yell at anyone; tell them what to do, or back talk. He even asked me why I don't. He doesn’t say anything to the techs that disregard his rules, cost him hundreds of dollars in call backs, yell at him and tells him what to do but he wants to let me go because I happen to put 45 instead of 54?

Strangely I’m not really that upset, I stopped crying halfway home (good thing no one was out, woulda thought I was strange for walking down the street cryin lol) and I don’t have that dreaded this is end of my world feeling but It still stinks!

Anyone need a receptionist?? LOL

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It might be a blessing in disguise, Dyamond. You have time to get some resumes out before that final day. You may even find a much better job.
    The main difference in being laid off and fired is that you can collect unemployment benefits.
    Good luck to you and I'll send up a prayer for you.

P.S. TimW may be looking for a receptionist. LOL

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I'm sure we are all sorry to hear of your misfortune, Dyamond.
    At least you have a bit of time to catch your breath and look around. Hopefully when one door closes another opens.
    God speed with the job hunting.

4. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Sorry to hear this, and good luck finding something new!

The difference between being laid off and being fired is a layoff technically means your job could open back up and you could get it back. Not that it sounds like he's going to be asking you back, but that's the difference. It also means you can collect unemployment without having to have your claim reviewed, so your money will come in sooner.

By the way, definitely file for unemployment the week you leave work. At least that way you'll have some income while you're looking for something else.

5. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

It might seem like a bad thing right now, but maybe it is for the better. A girl I worked with last year was laid off. She cried and cried her last day.
    I will tell you the same thing I told her. There are better jobs out there and you will find the right one.
    Well, guess what?
    She came to visit me at work just the other day and she found a great job within a couple weeks of leaving ours. She loves it.

As one door closes, another opens.

Take care

6. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Unexpectedly and/or involuntarily losing a job can be painful and I am sorry to hear of your misfortune.

My guess is that with only a small amount of research and other efforts you can become more gainfully employed than before. About a year ago, I took a course that included several lessons in job seeking, interviewing, etc. I found out that most people don't really hav a clue how valuable they can be...they just need to know themselves and know how to present themselves.
    Good luck.
    http://jobsearch.about.com/
    Maybe that can help a bit. Make sure you don't overlook the navigational links on the left margin of the page.

Jason

7. Bear9090

Bear9090 Private First Class

It’s a shame your old boss has no back bone or soul especially at Christmas. The lease he could have done was kept his word & have you stay till mid January so you have time to get things in order & find a new job. But business can be cruel when it comes to money. On the other hand you always learn something from your old job that will be beneficial with your new job. You don’t have to work at one place your whole life, just have to learn & better yourself with each job you have. You only can learn so much at one place then it just gets boring. Good or bad if you have a terrible boss who doesn’t care about the staff the business will eventually fail. At least you will be working & who knows the tables may turn & you may be the boss of him. Wouldn’t that be great? All the best with your new job. :)

8. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well, most black clouds have a silver lining there, somewhere, and all that. Maybe as door to that, apparently not-so-good job closes, the door to some way better job may be found. I'm hoping so, anyway. You're a bright young gal, so I'd guess you won't have too much bother finding something better. All the best with the future, Dy! :)

9. abri

abri MajorGeek

Hey dyamond!

Being rejected even by a f***wit still hurts. In your particular case, I expect he will regret his decision and then kick himself. I don't know where you're living, but I know there is not much protection for employees in the States. Bad feelings ripple outwards. I wish you the best fortune in finding a new job that will bring you a better position than you had before.

:)
    abri

10. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Good luck to you Dya, you're on the way to bigger and better things in your future. I'll send what (((*))) I can.:)

11. dyamond

Hehe thanks for the laugh musky, I needed it :D

Ah so heres an update, my boss has been calling around to his friends seeing if anyone needed help. I dont doubt he's doing it becuase of the kind of person he is but Im not holding my breath.

He told me "If I had the money, I'd keep you" umm does that make sense? cuz it doesnt to me..

Thanks everyone :)

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Use the internet and local papers and start looking. You sure seem like a lovely person, I think you will land on your feet. I got fired for attitude once (ok every job but one which was union) because I argued with my boss over sales. She would mark up pressure washers x2 what she paid. Well, a newer company would follow up and beat that by not doubling their cost. I argued it was silly not to match or beat their price because the real profit is when you service the machines, or so I was always told. Anyhow, its a crappy little company in the bad part of the city here and looking back, she took over the business from her dad and probably was content just making a profit without any effort. People have their reasons, you just usually wont agree.

Good luck, let us know!

13. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

There are no problems, only opportunities!!

Dy your situation sounds VERY similar to my own at my last job. I worked for a small company, that was pretty badly mismanaged.

It wasn't a bad job per se, and I liked the people I worked with, but leaving there was the best thing I could have done.

I now have a job I LOVE, at a company that is very professional. Was able to negotiate a $13.5K/year salary increase in the process.

So, there is all kinds of hope for you! From what I hear, you pretty much get to wear every hat at this company at one time or another, and were I you, I would NOT be afraid to brag about it.

I'll have to recommend the job hunting tips that monster has again. I swear they helped me land this job. http://interview.monster.ca/

14. Gensuknives

Gensuknives Grand pooty-meister

Hang tough, Dya. Things just have a way of working out for good people.

You'll find something better, in a flash.

15. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

One word, Dy ....yahoo.com ...ok, that's two...but scroll down to "Hot Jobs" on the left and select your location.

And yes, I need a receptionist, but the wife won't let me keep one...she say's I'll just have to take my own damn messages from my girlfriends! Imagine that! :cry

16. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Lot's of good advise here Dy, I'm sure you've heard everything happens for a reason, hard to swallow at this point but you will see it's true. You will come out better in the end. Sounds as if your boss isn't sure himself or feels guilty knowing he is wrong, whatever, his loss in the end, good luck to you sweetie.

17. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

hey DYAMOND that really sucks your boss knows just the right time to give out bad news that real diplomacy.

i hope you get something that you like very soon.

just stick two fingers up at the world and tell them i'm better than you all so go F**** yourself and just keep that positive attitude as for asking question how do you learn without first asking.

good luck gal

18. dyamond

Girlfriends? I dont think I'd let ya have one either :p

One of my other jobs I did get on hotjobs. I am actually considering schooling.. oh someone help me with all these choicesLOL

19. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi Dy

You may think that it is unfortunate that you are being made redundant, but I think you take this as an opportunity to a better job, where people will value you and your hard work :)

Sometimes we just need a little push to get there (often quite unexpectedly).

As you are aware, many things happen for a reason and you will look back in a few years to see that this old job was the reason you are in your new one (you in the future looking back ;) )

I would take this redundancy/layoff as a blessing in disguise.

It is their loss, you are better than them. Way higher than your boss will ever be :strong

Leave with dignity too, smile and be polite, making sure that they will give you an excellent reference as your new employers will be looking for one :)

Good luck dyamond

20. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Damn, dy, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that at this time of year. Sounds like the guy's a real wonderful person.rolleyes

I hope you find something you really want. Sounds like you got lots of good advice from people here as far as where to look for jobs. Good luck with it all.

21. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Forget that smile politely BS. Pee in his coffee. Break something. Slam the automatic door.

Then when the cops show up, claim the stress caused a psychotic break. You'll have a nice vacation in a state run facility. :D

Kidding. I'm sorry to hear about your job but now's the time to look for a new one, and then leave with your replacement only half-trained. If you're lucky your boss will beg for you to come back.

22. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

You know a lot of you talk about slacking off, or doing mean things to the guy. Frankly i wanna say grow up a bit, doing stuff like that is no way to leave on a professional terms, and get a good reference from the company if needed in the future. Some one once told me something about trying not to burn any bridges, cause you never know when you need to cross back. Dyamond your smart and i know you wont do anything stupid, but those of you suggesting it, its starting to tick me off. Lets try to stick to helpful solutions from here on out?

23. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

The best way to leave any employer that has asked you to leave, by firing you or by laying you off, is to make sure your last impression convinces him that he was stupid to let you go. If you really want revenge, that is revenge with style, but it also makes it far more likely that when you are applying for new jobs, your most recent reference will be a positive one.

Dyanmond, I'm sorry to hear you lost your job. Being unemployed sucks, regardless of the reasons for it. Good luck with the job hunt, and start it as soon as you can. You can, and you will find a better job. As has been said before, don't be afraid to brag about what you know and can do.

24. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

*rubs bridge of nose* Colemanguy, we are kidding. Trying to make him feel better about having an incompetant as a boss.

I know his problem. If it were me, I just wouldn't go back. That Dyamond is going back proves how much better a person he is.

I mean seriously, he's informed me that he's replacing me, but would keep me if he could afford it? Sounds like he's figured out that replacing an employee just before a raise is a good way to save money.

25. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Pssst... Dyamond is a girl.

26. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

ahh, now the fondness for shoes actually makes sense ;):D

Good luck dyamond

The timing isn't the best and his reasons don't make a lot of sense; but as has been stated it pays to leave on good terms - as I'm sure you will :)

your future's so bright, you'll have to wear shades

27. dyamond

When I read that it gave me quite a laugh this morning! Suprisingly, this isnt the first time someone thought I was a guy but with a name like dyamond it seems a little obvious, no? :confused :D

Anyway, anyway back on topic I do know better than to be a jerk on my way out because can mess up my chances with a new job. Im still friends with my boss from my old job and I know I can count on her for a good reference.

Well we will see, I'll keep ya updated. Thanks everyone again :)

28. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Heya Dy.... time to re-up that resume again eh?? LOL.. didn't we just do this not too long ago?? ;)

Anyone who reads my rants when I occasionally post them knows I lost my full time job a couple months ago, and I was pretty beat up about it, but I filed for unemployment and got it, and when I realized I made twice as much on unemployment as I did working part time at the salon and collecting partial unemployment, I decided it was time for a vacation... after all, for most of the last 8 minths, I was working 7 days a week, nights at the service and days at the salon. Now I can relax and get my ehad back together.

The thing to remember is that if you have an opportunity to go back to school with someone else paying for it and supporting you (ie: unemployment benefits) go for it!! It can only help you in the long run. I am using this time to get my own business going and explore a few avenues that I have been wanting to check out for some time now.

If you ever need help with a resume or cover letter again tho, feel free to drop me a PM or e-mail, always happy to help out a fellow geek-ette :D

~C

PS: No, I'm not allowed to have a receptionist either TimW, so don't feel bad. My other half says that I am not allowed to have anyone better looking in the house ;) What can I say, I have exquisite tastes :) lmao!!

29. dyamond

Thanks, I just might take you up on thatLOL

I do have a question, are you allowed to collect unemployment while going to school? I thought the point of unemployment was to keep you afloat while looking for a new job. If thats not the case I really will look into school!!

30. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

I don't know about your home state, but I know that NY has a program that you can get into if you are on unemployment that will allow you to collect longer if you are going back to school and has several programs to help pay for the schooling.

Check your state's Dept of Labor Website and see what they have to offer you. Remember, the company made the decision to let you go, now you need to find out how to make the most of it. Use every program that you can get your hands on to better yourself while you can. Remember, this is like Medicaid and Social Security, you have been paying into it out of every paycheck you have received, now it's time to collect.

:)

~C

31. dyamond

I wish we had a program like that here! Last night I looked all over PA's state run website and I think I can do it, as long as it doesnt prevent me from looking and/or accepting any reasonable job. They seem pretty admant about the fact that you will not be able to collect if you arent able to work or are doing something to prevent you from work (like school). It said you have to look for jobs, keep records of the ones you've applied too and accept any reasonable work.

Hey, I'll look - no problem :D

32. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Normally, you can study part-time whilst on Unemployment Benefits, but not full-time. Fair enough that you're expected to actually spend at least some time looking for work, I guess. That's the case in this country, anyway.

Good luck with your endeavours, Dy. :)

33. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Dyamond, so sorry to hear of your woes. HotJobs is ok, Monster landed me two jobs. I also worked two temp to perm jobs in the past. Robert Half/Accutemps OfficeTeam and I cannot remember the third. Since I scored 98% on two of three office tests, they thought I knew what I was doing. Did I ever luck out that day guessing!

Nothing like pressing the flesh and beating the bushes. Handing out 20 resumes a day will guarantee you a job in time. If you have relatives, sponge off them for the holidays and don't stress over it for the next few days.

The holidays do put a bit of a cramp on it, but keep the chin up and you will do well.

34. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Dang, dyamond - sorry to hear of this, and right here at Christmas too! :( The Grinch lives, it would seem . . . :mad

Well, it's their loss if they can't see what a valuable person you are. I have no doubt you will find an even better position soon. Being unemployed bites, I know (trust me - I've been let go myself, and it always whacks the ego). Good job hunting, Lady!

We were hiring up until Thursday, but PA to IN would have been a heck of a commute, anyway!

35. dyamond

Well, I just found out that tuesday is the going to be the day Im "let go" from here and tbh I really feel sorry for my co-worker, this new girl well lets just say she aint the brightest crayon in the box.

It looks as though my boss might have gotten me a job with his friend Mark, "that way we can stay close" he said oh yipee rolleyes

Well we will see!

36. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

MMm congrats on the new job or is it? you dont sound/type too happy about it?

But what I dont get is your boss fires you, and its not as if the job you did is disapeared as he has someone to take your place, BUT he gets you a job with a friend of his so your "close"!

Curious.. but hope all goes well as we all need cash coming in to pay bills.

37. dyamond

I dont know if I've got the job or not all he told me was that his friend Mark (who does our tile) is "looking" for someone. I was being sarcastic about the "so we can keep in touch" comment because I really dont anything to do with this guy after I leave here. You can't screw someone over like this and expect them to want to be your best friend.

I guess we will see if I get the "job" or not, if not Im gonna sit on my butt and collect unemployment :D ... well at least until I find a new job.

38. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Wise, I'd say!

Something is definitely fishy there... you're let go due to costs, yet the less experienced worker gets more pay?!?!?

Seems kinda squirrely to me, and when management gets like that, I say it's time to walk.

39. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Sorry I missed this thread Dyamond,good luck to ya,it does sound like a crock but I'm sure your moving on to greener pastures anyway.

You've mentioned many times in the shoutbox how your boss blamed you for silly things that are often his fault,he sounds like an "I'm never wrong." type of person rolleyes I'm sure you'll be O.K:)

40. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Now it is Tuesday (here anyway) you must start looking to the future, not the past.
    Think of it as the start of something, not the end of something.
    And remember the Geeks are with you.

41. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

42. dyamond

Hey guys, Thanks for your support - looks like today is just another day. I've fixed two problems and Im working on one - oh what are they going to do without me here? LOL

The job offer with his friend is most likey not going to be for a while, if at all -I wasnt holding my breath.

I'll just file my unemployment while I continue to look.

On the plus side my co-worker made me a pie as a going away present :drool (I think he feels bad I'm leaving too!!)

43. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Hey Dyamond, bummer deal for this time of year...but if he's true to his word re "job offer with his friend" - can be a form of networking.

Like many others here have stated, leave with a good work relationship - it is to your advantage for future work references - plus shows how professional a person you are.

Also, like CT stated earlier, be good to get some studies happening while job searching - does expand job opportunities skill wise and for contacts networking...(I've been studying part time since I first started work at 15yrs and haven't stopped! - great way to constantly expand job arenas and networking.)

Good things coming your way soon...just be patient:)

Cheers

LS

Good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds