processor overheating, too large voltage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darksabaton, Apr 17, 2012.

1. darksabaton

darksabaton Private E-2

as it says on topic title it is the problem on my 2nd computer

as it seems a thing overclockers like to fiddle with alot i put it inside this forum.

it has P4 3.0 ghz and an older but compatible motherboard.

i have the same processor in this computer but the differance is simply too great

on default the max voltage should be about 1.3V as is the case on my first pc, yet on 2nd pc the voltage is set on 1.6V!?

i lowered the mhz thing that sets how fast the processor should work from the "default" 132 to 100 and that lowered the temperature from 75c to 68c. but per default on P4 3.0ghz it should be set on 200 as to work properly on 3.0ghz. yet when i set it on 200 the pc doesnt even boot. my first pc has it set on 200.

now the problem is i have to lower that voltage somehow that doesnt involve software solution and i cannot change it in bios becouse i simply dont have the option there.

as soon as i start loading windows it crashes with a split second bluescreen and restarts.

power supply, thermal paste, hdd, gfx, ram, cooler vent arent responsible as i replaced power supply, thermal paste, gfx and ram. and turned off hdd. while vent works fine and cooler is cleaned.

but still too high temp. and 1.6V?

i dont know how to but it seems my only option is manualy lowering the voltage that doesnt involve software solution since i cannot start windows.

im not a computer wizard but if my motherboard or processor went to 9 hells i wouldnt be even able to boot would i?

2. cachehiker

cachehiker Private E-2

Have you put a Prescott P4 (1.3V) in a motherboard that only supports up to Northwood P4's (1.55V)?

3. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

There is a option in bios screen you have to press ctrl and F1 key together and it will open a new menu in bios where all the voltages are. But it total depends on how latest your bios is.

The other option which is to load default settings in bios to see if that changes it all back if not then there is no alternative but to flash your bios but it's extremely risky if you got the wrong version then the computer will not boot.

4. jassmine

jassmine Private E-2

Hi, I am just new to this forum. From what I've learned you can see an option in bios screen you have to press ctrl and F1 key together and it will open a new menu in bios where all the voltages are. So you can check your Bios update.

5. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

If you want to see the Voltage in windows use http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html

Go to your Motherboard option in speccy and it should tell you your Current Voltage instead of going to bios.

6. FamousVir

FamousVir Private E-2

~~~~~~~~~

thats Great thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds