BSOD: STOP error 0x000000C2 - can't boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jannoth, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Jannoth

Jannoth Private E-2

Hi, reading all the other relevant forum posts, sach2 has some experience of helping people with similar symptoms ... my fingers are crossed :cry

I'm helping a friend whose PC won't boot. The PC is a Dell Dimension E520 running XP Media Center 2005, plenty of RAM and disk space.

The PC has worked fine for years and I've been promised that no software or hardware has been added for at least months (except the normal Windows updates etc).

PROBLEM: the PC passes the POST then displays a message that the user needs to repair Windows using the Dell O/S software and pressing "R".

After backing up his files (via Linux and an external HDD caddy via USB) I followed the suggestion but got a BSOD - just when Windows would normally start to be loaded:

BAD_POOL_CALLER
    STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043,0xC3C6A000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

1. Safe Mode also fails. After about 10 lines of code/filenames, the same old error message is displayed (about repairing Windows using the manufacturer's CD).
    2. Choosing INSTALL on the Dell O/S CD generates the BSOD as soon as you accept the Microsoft licence (ie pressing F8).
    3. Dell's Memory Test (on the O/S CD) is passed.
    4. Dell's Test System option (on the O/S CD) is passed.

Can anyone please guide me through fixing this please?

Thanks in advance :yum

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome Jannoth :)

The majority of 0xC2 STOP errors are probably either drivers or memory; as hardware trumps software in the troubleshooting order, I suggest you rule out memory first using a boot CD of Memtest86+. After downloading the ISO image and burning it to CD (details on this at Caliban's site), boot the affected computer from the CD and run the memory test for 7 full runs - it might take some time. Any errors onscreen indicate a problem that needs to be fixed before moving on to drivers/Windows/software troubleshooting.

3. Jannoth

Jannoth Private E-2

Thanks for that satrow,

I'll do try running Memtest in a minute or two. I didn't do it earlier because the Dell O/S ran it's own memory test (also took quite a few minutes) which the PC passed.

Oh well, I'll run Memtest and post my findings ...

J :)

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Once that's ruled the RAM in or out, we can take the next steps :)

Perhaps sach2 will chip in soon to help you through this ;)

The line below looks interesting, I'm sure that's a clue:
    Busy for a few hours, if I get a spare 5 minutes, I'll look in again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds