Hello quick question quick answer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trick420, Jul 9, 2005.

1. trick420

trick420 Private E-2

Hello i just bought my new pc today and love it :) any way.

I want to put in my new video card and my new add on of Memory stick (RAM)

THe ram is the right type i know for sure.

And need instructions i know how to put the vid card in but last time i did this i didnt remove all the old vid card wateva and it messed up. THank you very much :)

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

The video card is one piece you can't remove pieces of it, so you can't mess up that way. If you can fit it into the motherboard it will work. You don't need to remove the old one. It's just most people use AGP cards and AGP standard only allows for one slot per motherboard, which means you have to remove the old card in order to put it in. But if it's a PCI card you can stick as many in as you want.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Make sure you EARTH yourself on EACH computer (on a metal part of the case), EACH and EVERY time BEFORE you delve inside them.

Static discharge from you (to PC bits) can zap them, particularly if you are walking across carpet/rugs. Bazza

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

An add on to bazza's point,to earth yourself properly the computer must be plugged in but turned off to ensure the case is earthed,if your uncomfortable doing this incase of electric shock "which is very unlikely",touch a clean shiny house gas or water pipe,If there's one close,on a kitchen worktop is great,you just need to touch the sink or a tap.

:)

5. bigbazza

Agree with you, Rikky. But here in OZ, a lot of power cords only have 2 prongs.
    No earth prong Bazza
    ===

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

How do you earth yourself properly?

7. bigbazza

I always earth myself on a metal part of the computer case before delving inside, irrespective of whether the PC is earthed by the powercord, to the wall outlet, or not.

Maybe static discharge damage is a myth, but check out last 2 answers on post http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=67190

As I posted there, I used to get booted every time I walked across carpet and touched a door knob. Bazza
    ===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds