Junk or Jewel

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BoredOutOfMyMind, Jul 27, 2005.

1. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Ok Geeks, what about this box?

Worthwhile or leave it?

Thanks for your opinions...... :D

Compaq Presario PC, monitor and HP printer package
    Save $340. For an additional $100 purchase the SR1520NX*
    Wow! $299.94
    after easy rebates
    Valid Jul 24 - 30

In-Store Savings
    Add this item
    to Printable
    Shopping List

This Compaq Presario PC, monitor and HP printer package includes: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3000+

• 256MB DDR PC2700
    • 80GB 7200 RPM hard drive
    • DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
    • 56K (max) modem
    • 10/100 Ethernet card
    • Compaq FS7600 17" flat-glass CRT monitor (16" viewable)
    • 9-in-1 card reader
    • Windows® XP Home Edition
    • HP Deskjet® 3845 color inkjet printer
    • $639.94 - $170 instant savings - $50 PC easy rebate - $50 monitor easy rebate - $50 printer easy rebate and - $20 bonus printer easy rebate = $299.94
    Compaq SR1500NX/610728, Compaq FS7600/591892, HP 3845/575039

* #610729. Upgrade to a DVD±RW DL drive Compaq SR1520NX
    • Double your memory to 512MB
    • Double your hard drive to 160GB
    #610728/591892/575039
    AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Athlon, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

3. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Doesn't sound too bad for an all-around system for the price. Really depends on what you want to do with it. I gave up on commercial systems . . . I like to build my own. The commercial systems tend to have cheap chip-sets . . . but if all you want is a decent surfing, light gaming, and basic video editing PC, this should do it. I'd at least double the RAM. I've not heard anything negative about the sempron processors. Plus, the commercial systems do have a warranty.

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

It's good bang for the buck!! If you want a commercial system, because you are not into the hardware aspect of computing!! If you don't get the warranty...and something goes wrong with the motherboard (which most times, has everything "onboard") or one of the "onboard" things...then you will have to deal with HP/Compaq, which usually results in them sticking it to you without lubrication...if you know what I mean!!

I know you couldn't homebuild that for that kind of money!!!! Personally, I hate mail in rebates, but like I said earlier...It is a GOOD deal for the dollar if you want a system from a commercial retailer!! If you do get it...consider the extended service plan, if it's not a fortune!!

Roger

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

Thanks for the reply, this is what I thought but I wanted a second opinion.
    The Staples Rebates are ok, they came back from Black Friday quick. There was a longer time as the items were Christmas gifts, and I did not qualm with that. When I upgraded my memory last year I had the check within 2 weeks.

I stopped shopping at one major Computer Retailer, because rebates took up to 6 months!

service plan? nahhhhhh
    If it lasts a year, the $299 (upgraded system net price) would have been a huge savings to the $2500 I have at my right ankle.... :)

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

That's kind of the way I look at it too...but I also am knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot hardware issues (some of the basic, most popular hardware, that is) and am able to fix it myself if needed!!

But if feel that 300 dollars wouldn't be a loss if you got a year out of it...I say go for it!! I would say that most likely you will get years out of it...especially if you know how to do some of the basic repairs!!

Roger

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

Welp they were out of stock with the DVD RW drive, so either I get one online and shipped or wait for back to school. I can't imagine what Black Friday must have since they have this box now.

I did pick up a 256MB MP3 player for my daughter's b-day next month....

Thanks again all who replied. :) :) :)

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Rebates are great! Though, I sent in a $70 rebate form 3 weeks ago. Today Verizon sent in an email saying they have received my form, and will be processing my form. They were nice to say, that I shall be getting my check in 8 to 10 weeks. So having all those rebates to fill in and mailing off, you'll probably get some money back in 3+ months.

Which is very interesting, when you owe money, and you can't pay, it hurts your credit and get called constantly to pay it off. But, when a company owes you money, then all you can do is just wait.....

9. N5638J

N5638J Guest

if 300 dollars wouldn't be a loss to you thin all i got to say is share the love my birthday is on the 14th of this month:D:D J/K

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds