CD Burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThomasK, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ThomasK

ThomasK Private E-2

My computer came with a DVD & CD Burner. I can burn DVD's just fine, but whenever I try to burn a CD I get the error message, "Cannot Complete The CD Writing Wizard. There was an error in the writing process. The disc you have attempted to write may no longer be usable." I know the discs are good I've checked and burned them in another computer. The drive plays both just fine, I can watch or listen to anything I put in. It's worked before and now all of a sudden no more CD burning.:confused

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much,
    Thomas

2. gimpguy2000

gimpguy2000 Private E-2

First, how old is it? What's your OS? Desktop? Have you tried as simple dry brush disk clean? Dirty lenses can cause misreads in one media type at a time. Once you answer this, we can move on...;)

cheers,

Paul

3. ThomasK

ThomasK Private E-2

It's about two-in-a-half years old, Windows XP, Sony VAIO Desktop, and yes I have done the dry brush disk clean.

Thanks so much Paul for helping me out here!

4. gimpguy2000

gimpguy2000 Private E-2

NP :)

What I can suggest although in my opinion it may be on the fritz completely since OEM burners only tend to last a couple of years, is check that the IDE cables didn't loosen or swap another IDE cable. If there is a bad cable, the burner may not function correctly. You could uninstall the drivers and reinstall or simply remove the device and restart windows. Let it pick the device back up and see if it works.

In my honest opinion, I think it's simply on it's last leg though. Typically one side or the other dies first. Many people get the DVD portion not working but the CD will fine, vise versa. I think if nothing check out, your best bet is to buy another.

Paul

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds