blinking yellow lights-dell won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lislordav, May 10, 2011.

1. lislordav

lislordav Private E-2

Dell dimension4300 won't turn on
    LED lights in back are blinking--A & B are orange
    C & D are green
    Don't know what to do
    any help appreciated:confused

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

Dell indicates that combination of lights is a memory problem.

Try reseating the RAM modules. If that doesn't work; if you have more than one module try using just one at a time to see if you can isolate the bad module.

3. lislordav

lislordav Private E-2

Thanks for reply. How do you reseat ram module?
    I'm a novice at this...

4. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

5. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Here is a link to the manual for your model of machine, it gives detailed instructions on how to get inside your case and upgrade stuff in there....

http://www.fixya.com/support/p349199-dell_dimension_4300_4300hq4n311_pc/manual-14419

I have also uploaded a couple of pics of what you should be looking for....

Follow these instructions and all will be fine....

1.) you must disconnect the power supply to the machine by removing the kettle plug from the rear of the machine.
    2.) press and hold down the power up button to dissapate any risidual left over power.
    3.) ground yourself by either touching the outer casing or wearing a anti-static wristband or touch a tap or radiator. this must be done as static shock can render your machine useless.
    4.)follow the instructions in your manual on how to remove the casing to expose the motherboard (pg.60 onwards).
    5.)look at the images that i have uploaded and locate them on the motherboard.
    6.)the ram modules are held in place by a clip at either end and are easly depressed to release the modules.remove all the modules.
    7.)clean the gold contacts on the ram modules with an eraser or alcohol wipe.
    8.)re-seat the ram in the available slots, take care to make sure that the grooves are lined up correctly,press firmly into the slots so that the clips at either end click shut into place.
    9.)whilst inside you case now would be a good time to give the tower a good clean out,i would suggest that you buy a can of compressed air (any decent hardware shop or computer store will supply it) and give it a blast out pay most attention to the cpu fan/power supply fan/graphics card and any casing fans.
    10.) put your casing back together and and attach your power supply and boot your machine.

I hope this assists in helping you, any problems post back and we will help run through it with you.

iain.t :major

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  6. lislordav

lislordav Private E-2

Thanks to all. I will try. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds