Windows XP blue screen of "death"...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pip_finn, Aug 5, 2006.

1. pip_finn

pip_finn Private E-2

During normal functioning of the laptop, the blue screen of death appears, and the laptop restarts. It's totally random and there is no chance to save any work. When you relogin, a dialogue box stating "The system has recovered from a serious error" appears and offers to report the incident to Microsoft. The attached system dump file is created. It started happening two weeks ago and has become a major annonyance.

Does anyone know how I can fix the problem?

Thank you.

ps the forum won't let me upload the .dmp extension file. How should I upload it?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Best thing to do is give us the stop code error ....if you can go to admin tools and events and find the system error code you can login here to research it:
    Error report event ID's
    http://eventid.net/

random restarts are often a bad power supply which you can check with everest:

Everest:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

zip it,post the last two or three

4. pip_finn

pip_finn Private E-2

Here it is...

Attached Files:

5. Rikky

Sorry I took so long getting back to you finn :)

There are two diffent errors two from ntoskrnl.exe and one from ati2dvag the first an
    essential part of windows and the second the video card driver,first make sure your video
    card driver is up to date download the latest driver from ATI
    press control alt delete check see if theres a process running called ntoskrnl.exe if there
    is its probably a virus update your antivirus signatures and run a full scan,if not move on

you can try to repair the ntoskrnl.ex file you'll need a windows xp cd

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD

Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key

to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.

In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
    Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.

Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to

overwrite the file.

Type exit to reboot the computer.

differnt bsod's can often mean your computer is overheating so check the temperature of
    everything,when does these bsod's happen after certain amount of time,can they happen after
    only a few minutes of use?can you think of anything particular you are doing At the times of the crash,any stressfull programs,are the crashes completely random?

If you have any more bsod's post them :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  6. pip_finn

pip_finn Private E-2

Rikky - thanks for the response.

The bsods happened pretty randomly, sometimes with only one window open, sometimes multiple open.

However, now the bsod has crippled the laptop. It came on yesterday while I was doing some web surfing. Reboot -> login, and then immediately after login, bsod. Reboot -> login -> bsod. It's in an infinite loop!

Having to use it in Safe Mode now (that works fine, touch wood!).

I've looked through the instructions you sent. However, I do not have the Windows CD. Will try to get a copy of from friends.

? - I do have most of my data backed up. In the worst case scenario if the laptop breaks down completely, can the hard drive be recovered?

Also, I'm thinking of taking the laptop in to the GeekSquad. Can they handle these types of issues?

Yes, there has been quite a bit of overheating in the laptop. The fan is always running, inspite of that, I can't keep it in my lap for more than 20-30 minutes at a time.

7. Rikky

yes you can install the harddrive into a working pc using a laptop\pc harddrive adapter and recover the data

If you suspect the laptop is overheating give it a good clean,blow out all the dust with a can of air,you may be able to see what temperature your cpu is running at by entering bios usually delete as the computer is booting and check your pc health status,anything under 50c is usually fine

I'v heard of the geek squad but thats as far as it goes :)

Its impossible to fix the laptop really without a copy of xp sourcing a copy should be your first priority,its sounds as though for some reason the registry has become corrupt :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds