Samsung DVD-ROM

Discussion in 'Software' started by dboiler, Oct 18, 2010.

1. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

My friends machine has two CD/DVD Drives. She ran Crapcleaner on her machine as it was running very slow and she wanted to clean stuff off. After running it, both of her CD/DVD Drives fail to work. Device Manager shows both drives with what appears to be a yellow exclamation mark.

I tried uninstalling and then installing the drives and had the system look for the best drivers but it says they are corrupt or missing. I've tried to find device drivers on the web but only get sites where they want you to download their drivers update software.

I just want the drivers for these two drives:

_NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
    and
    Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T

I've even tried both NEC's and Samsungs websites. Arg. Not having any luck trying to download some simple drivers.

Oh, and they aren't on the systems driver cd that came with the computer.

Help,

Dave

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, dboiler.

For the most part, modern Windows versions don't need external drivers for opticals. What's the make and model # of the machine? You might need to reinstall the chipset drivers in order for the opticals to work.

Try this, so we can get a handle on the Windows version and machine specs:

Download and install Everest, a free system information tool.

Run Everest and click Report (top menu) > Report Wizard > Next - Choose System Summary Only > Next - Choose Plain Text > Finish and wait for report to generate.
    Click Save to File and leave the File Name as Report, then click the Save as Type dropdown and choose Report files (*txt) - click Save (n.b. Save to desktop, use Browse to locate desktop).

Then attach your log to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Try this: go to the device manager and chances are the CD/DVD drive has a yellow ! exclamation point on it. Right click it and select "uninstall". Then click this direct link to download a 'zipped' .REG file. Unzip it, right click the resulting .REG file and select "Merge". Agree to any warnings that come up, then reboot. That should fix it!

(NOTE: the file is named "XP Optical Drive Fix.zip" but it works with Vista also -I've used it personally on Vista and XP- and it should be OK with Win7, but I haven't tried it with 7 yet)

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

(BTW - BIG thanks to MG member Adrynalyne for the .REG file and for hosting it on his SkyDrive! THANKS!)

5. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

That link does not load. Page not found.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Instead of the link dlb posted try this its the same thing (Live Spaces are having a bit of a chaneg of late so some links may end up dead or different) HERE

Bascially its deleting the Upper and Lower filters of the data allocated to a drive, these can become corrupt by installing and uninstalling CD/DVD burning apps, DVD movie makers and any app that may have or need access to an optical driver as an option for direct saving of info.

Do also tell us what PC make and model this is and what Windows version as it may help? if yo udont know Caliban posted info to help earlier.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Oooops! The link I posted worked when I first put it up... you can access the file from this link.

8. kench

kench Private First Class

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds