New setup! Yay!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepygamer213, Oct 24, 2005.

1. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Ok im going to upgrading to the following parts...

AMD Athlon 64 3000 Venice for $146.00
    DFI LanParty nf-4 Ultra-D for $129.00
    Sapphire X800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E for $159.00

Sound good?

Also, does anyone know if i can run 2 ATi cards on my new mobo? I read about the Dual Express Graphics setup, but i dont know if it supports ATi cards or ONLY nVIDIA....

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

only nvidia is supported on that board ati crossfire boards use the ati express200 chipset i believe

3. sleepygamer213

JEEZ! I suppose ill just run an ATi card in that mobo untill the Crossfire motherboards come out and then i'll upgrade....

HURRY UP ATI AND MANUFACTURERS!

4. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

5. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

ouch that hurts!!!!! :rolleyes:

6. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

7. sleepygamer213

I would buy that CF mobo, but ive only got X amount of cash to spend... So im just going to get the ASUS A8N-E (since im not going to be running SLI, just an ATI vid card!) That ATI vid card and CPU.... Im going with the A8N-E because im going to wait until some prices come down!

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I don't think crossfire is as good an implementation as SLI.

Personally, I don't think either is worth it, but I think SLI is the better option.

BTW, why don't you just get an nVidia card (a 6800 for eg) instead of the ATI, then you can buy another later and run them in SLI?

It (nvidia) also supports Shader Model 3 which ATI doesn't.

9. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

i would agree with that too many bugs with crossfire right now. was a diehard ati fan through the ati7000 to 9800 series but imho nvidia has better drivers and overall performance since the newer series gpu's have come out :)

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

CrossFire was an afterthought, and really only introduced to offer an alternative to SLI.

nVidia had teething problems when it moved to a smaller die, which was when ATI's 9600 and 9800 reigned supreme.

nVidia is now reaping the benefits of that move.

ATI is moving to a smaller die now and is having all sorts of problems, which is why they haven't had any new models out for quiet a while.

11. sleepygamer213

I DID consider purchasing a 6800.... but i mean... at 160 for that X800GT 256MB DDR3, its still pushing my budget on the high side.... For all of those who dont know yet, In SO. CAL they dont offer people who are 15 jobs..... So, all the cash i get is from doing things around the house or mowing peoples lawns... If there is a 6800 256MB DDR3 for only 160, I'd buy it.... But considering the fact that The X800GT that I'm considering getting IS ABOUT EQUAL in performance to a 6800 256MB DDR.

This ATI card is only low by about 5-6 FPS in SOME games and then it rockets 30-40 FPS higher than the 6800 in Sims 2.... I dont think i could go wrong for the price, AND the fact that I MIGHT be able to unlock the extra pipelines! ;)

As for my mobo, Ill stick with the ASUS A8N-E... I'd have liked to go with the DFI Ultra-D, but... I dont need SLI, AND what is the point in purchasing an SLI mobo, when i can get a Dual GPU video card For less than the price of an extra 6800.... Unless im wrong?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds