Nod32 Versus Avg Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by BILLMCC66, Sep 29, 2007.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have been very disappointed in NOD32 it let a virus into my PC WIN32/VIRUT.O and although it found it the virus was so aggressive it could not clean it fast enough to stop it penetrating every file on the PC.
    i have now cleaned it out with help from Win32/Virut Removal Tool which is an AVG (grisoft) product what i would like to ask is does AVG Pro give pro give a better level of protection or is NOD32 still the best.

if AVG Pro is better i will consider buying it??
    [​IMG]

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

C'mon Bill , you know there is no perfect Anti Virus. There are certainly viruses which can switch off AVG. One of Nod's claims is there this can't be done with Nod32, but there is obviously another way past it.

It would be interesting to learn how it arrived on your system? Also what was the name of the beast?

Any software antivirus has vulnerabilities and it's pot luck whether the virus that targets you is capable of defeating it.

The next level is hardware lockdown modules that can't be subverted by virus action.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

the beast was WIN32/VIRUT.O and it came in with an E-Mail with a compressed programme in it as soon as i opened the attachment the whole Pc went crazy.

BJGarrick gave me the cleanup for my external HD but i had to reformat the PC every file i opened to clean just set it going again.

but with the HD i just let it go on local disc "E" without actually opening it.

because it was in the dll i lost a lot of my programme start ups after cleaning i am just happy that you guys were there for guidance, it took a while but i am almost back where i was before the attack.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=138298

i would not wish that beast on anyone it just breeds faster than the AV can clean it.

[​IMG]

if you google WIN32/VIRUT.O it will give loads of instances where it damaged NOD32

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks for the information Bill.

And a warning to all about dodgy Email then.

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> The beast was WIN32/VIRUT.O and it came in with an E-Mail with a compressed programme in it as soon as I opened the attachment the whole Pc went crazy. BILLMCC66 <<

Ouch... sorry to hear about your troubles there Bill!

To get around the "accidentally opening" infected attachments problem; I currently use the freeware program called ePrompter to open all emails.

It's an extremely handy program and uses almost no resources while running in the background and checking your email accounts at user preset intervals and alerts you whenever email arrives with a little blinking icon that resides on the taskbar. Once it's configured properly the program can check up to 16 separate e-mail accounts and allows you users to read/save/reply (and delete) emails in text format (i.e. w/o pictures).

Since users cannot open or retrieve attachments while using ePrompter there is almost ZERO chance of getting a virus from opening them (as long as you don't click on the links within the emails, that is). Another handy thing about it is that while ePrompter does not 'eliminate' spam it is quicker to get rid of them either individually or en masse with a few clicks.

Side Note: Amazingly, this program is apparently not listed in the "Mail Utilities" section of Major Geeks. Perhaps it is listed somewhere else; but I could not find the link when I searched for it using the MG search function.

Good Luck!

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

the problem is that the E-Mail was from a trusted source with whom i have a long relationship and to be fair they mailed the attachment in good faith i have contacted them since the event and the same problem occurred with his PC he is not a member of MGs but read the post i got from Abri and had to adopt the same procedure that i used.

i managed to send a sample to ESNET so hopefully they will come up with a soloution

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds