What do you suggest?..............

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strange1, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

I would like to add a viable sound card and speaker sys to my computer (Dell 4600) I have plenty of RAM and sufficient hard drive.. Which sound card would be suitable? Also which speaker system? High volume (wattage) is not imperative. I will be listening mostly to bluegrass music from the web(not from a CD ). But will also (more important to me) recording with a mic (thru an amp) my voice with a guitar to makes sound files to send to my kids and other relatives. I am using Audacity to record and import to wav file and sending via email. Now for the $ thing. Can I keep it below $100.00? I'm looking for the cheapest way to achieve the sound I hope to get. The current card I have is the system sound card that came with the computer (not too great). It seems not to pick up my voice and putting it on the recording with the desired volume over the guitar (acoustic guitar). Any suggesting beyond forgetting the entire project. Thanx to one and all for any feedback.

Jack

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

The sound card i highly recommend is sound blaster live 5.1 you can get them for under $50.00 and they have good sound quality plus they do have microphone inputs and line inputs besides speaker outputs. just check around the web or check your local computer parts store.:)

3. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the feedback. Will I need another piece of equip between the speakers and the comp to accomodate all the speakers, if I get a multi speaker system?

Jack

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I hope i've been a good help to you.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  5. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

No, a two or three speaker setup will work with it, But you can get cheap priced powered speakers for around $30.00-50.00 dollars, The drivers for that sound card will give you an option to set it from 2-4 speakers plus subwoofer.:)

6. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks again, hugh. I'm on my way.

Jack

7. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Anyone have an extra installation CD for 5.1 SoundBlaster? See I have the 5 speakers and subwoofer as well as the sound card, but the installation CD is in chinese. Any ideas where I might purchase just the CD would be appreciated! :)

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You might try looking on www.creative.com

9. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Argh...Stupid me. I had searched for a language support installation or some sort of patch that would fix the problem using the CD I have. True enough though...I can probably get what want there....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds