"No sound device" after reformatting xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by fookmilk, Aug 28, 2009.

1. fookmilk

fookmilk Private E-2

I recently reformatted my pc and now i have no sound. When i try to adjust the volume in the control panel it says "no sound device" and all of the boxes are grey. I've tried downloading drivers, even ones recommended by Dell and nothing has worked. I checked my device manager and it is saying that everything is fine in the audio section. Although in the section entitled "other devices" i have yellow ?'s for the following: ethernet controller, PCI device, and SM Bus controller, none of which i understand or how it relates to my sound not working.

I have a Dell DXP061 and am running win xp home edition 5.1.2600 (winxp retail)

Any help would be great and if you need any more info let me know.
    thanks a bunch

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cheers for the info given helps alot and the missing SMBUS in other alerts me to a missing chipset driver as these are crucial to other devices working.

So at Dell install the Chipset driver listed for your PC.

Would help find the driver and link to it right now but the DXP061 reference is the motherboard and not the model of Dell, with the model its easy to find the right drivers, but usual suspects to using the DXP061 motherboard are Dimension 9200/XPS 410, so in Dell normally offering Intel CPUs the Chipset you will need is this one HERE

Install that Chipset then reboot and then if your XP version is RTM, SP1, SP2 then install the UAA audio driver, if you have XP Sp3 then its built in, followed by the audio driver for your model Dell.

As ethernet is missing also look in the Network list of drivers and install the one for your model.

If you're a bit stumped as to what hardware and drivers are needed for your model Dell as they do list 2 or 3 different audio and network drivers at times do post the actual model of Dell you have or follow the below guide and attach the log.

3. fookmilk

fookmilk Private E-2

thanks for the help. i installed the chipset and it took care of the SMBUS but i do need help with the hardware and drivers ( i know i'm pretty clueless when it comes to this) my dell is a XPS/Dimension 410/9200. i really appreciate your help.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

As Halo suggested above, please attach an Everest report to a future post. All the info needed is in Halo's post above.
    :-D

5. DavidGP

Hi

Drivers are here for that system, but we will need the Everest log to tell what hardware you have installed as looking at the hardware that that model comes with there are variences in some devices, so need to knwo whats installed to offer you the right ones.

6. fookmilk

fookmilk Private E-2

here you go

Attached Files:

7. DavidGP

8. fookmilk

fookmilk Private E-2

holy mackeral that worked perfectly. thank you so much, i appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

9. DavidGP

Hi fookmilk

No problems, glad all worked out ok and cheers for posting back that all worked well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds