Hello & a vBulletin problem

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by TheFORT, Aug 26, 2010.

1. TheFORT

TheFORT Private E-2

Hi there, from reading around I really appreciate how welcoming this site is.

I am not tech savvy enough to figure out how to categorize my problem, so hopefully someone can direct me to the correct forum.

I am part of a team of mods/administrators for an internet forum. Our forum is running vBulletin version 3.8.0. We started as a small site by one guy who knew all about the technical side of things and owned the site. A few years later we had grown like crazy and he sold the site to TVGuide. They moved the site to their internal servers. So as it stands, we have access to the vBulletin code for most everything but we don't have access to the servers, that is handled by TVG.

For about a week now, users have been complaining that clicking on threads will redirect them to Myspace. It's happening to a variety of browsers. We can't get anyone from TVG to respond to our queries.

Does anyone know what this could be? The only things I have found on your site seem to point at individual PCs, not a website. If we are infecting all of our members we need to be able to take action ASAP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

You can't do very much. The forum is most likely hacked either though a security issue in the code itself (3.8.0 is really outdated and has a few exploits) or in one of the installed plug-ins.

I would switch it off until someone from TVG is responding.

3. TheFORT

TheFORT Private E-2

Hi, and thanks for the response! We just got word on Friday that someone will look into it from TVG, so at least we know now it's being looked at. So it sounds like we would do well to push for an upgrade too?

4. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

Yes, to the latest 3.8.x release.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds