New guy here

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by glassbottle, Nov 2, 2010.

1. glassbottle

glassbottle Private E-2

Hey guys, just registered on here and had a few questions as I'm kinda new to the whole custom computers and all.

I built a custom computer a couple of years ago and am now trying to research ways to overclock my computer and tweak it ever so sweetly. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if I miss putting something in here that might be important. Lol it might take me a bit before I get the hang of things.

[​IMG]

I hope that shows my system specs. Once again sorry for the noobness.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Welcome aboard, you should post that in the overclocking forum to get more eyes on it. That being said, you have the nVidia Control Panel where you can make software changes to the FSB and see the the voltages that it takes to achieve it and plug those values into BIOS.

However, there are tons of guides on how to OC properly, maybe even in the nVidia forums for your particular board. Main thing is to read and read some more and never ever plug in someone else's voltages for a quick and dirty OC.

Slow and easy is the way to go. BTW, if you have a stock heat sink/fan it may not be able to take the heat. Beware and good luck.

3. glassbottle

glassbottle Private E-2

Thanks man I'll definitely do that. I'd like to use my NVidia control panel, but when I try to open it, it turns my computer off. The power light stays on, and you can hear the fans going, but it's definitely out of whack. I updated my drivers minus the BIOS as I haven't been able to get a disk that will let me burn the new BIOS onto it. Don't know what's up with that. Also ordered a new video card to see if maybe that will help.

Thank you again for the help.

Oh yeah I fixed my RAM so it's running in dual channel and not single channel. Lol I'm so bad at this.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Regarding BIOS, if your issues do not have a specific fix in a new BIOS rev by reading the logs, then I would not update it. As to your machine seemingly going to sleep, there may be a BIOS option to turn that function on. All I can do is give you general help.

BTW, on your CPU-Z I noticed that the multiplier was at 6 which means that power savings was on because the CPU was doing much. you want to help out games or something? Your new video card should help more than an CPU OC even though your 8800GT is none too shabby. Plus that quad should be able to handle most anything at stock speed.

You've got a good machine there.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, glassbottle.

Make sure you visit the other forums here, paying attention to the tips and tricks offered for cleaning and maintaining your machine.
    It ain't gonna do no good to overclock unless you've got a good foundation.

Welcome to MG! :major

6. glassbottle

glassbottle Private E-2

Thank you both very much for the help! I've all ready been checking out the other forums and can't wait to get as much information as possible.

And yeah Augie, I'm looking to get a little more out of my games. I don't really play anything too intense on the computer. Just World of Warcraft, pretty much. Thank you both again for the welcoming!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds