sfc /scannow question

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Jun 14, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

XP Pro, was SP1, I installed SP2. I did some basic tune up type of stuff (virus/malware scans, defrag, cleaned junk/temp files, etc) and now I'm running sfc.... it asked for the XP Pro CD at one point, so I put in a XP Pro SP2 CD, it said Retry. I clicked Retry a few times and then tried a XP Pro SP1 CD with the same result. Since the partition is formatted FAT32, I thought maybe XP was installed as an upgrade from Win98/ME, so I tried a SP2 XP Pro upgrade CD, and still I'm getting Retry over and over... is this normal?? I've seen the same type of thing before, but sooner or later the Retry goes away and everything 'kicks in' until it's done..... what's up???? THANX!

hd2k

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

You knows i have xp pro SP1 and i never able to make this command to work i try many thing and it does not work...

at the end i just give up.....

If you found a solutions i will be very interested.....

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Try this next time

sfc /purgecache

then

sfc /scannow

Studio T

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

More often than not, its an incorrectly set key in the registry. Pretty easy to fix, let me know if the /purgecache doesnt work.

Pretty sure we had this convo before hooper ;)

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Don't know this one can you post the offending key?

Studio T

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sure, let me steal my cousin's windows machine. Will post momentarily.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

values of interest here: SourcePath and ServicePackSourcePath

ServicePackSourcePath points to the repository of SP1 or SP2 files. If its located in C:\i386, then you simply type C:. i386 is already implied.

Same with SourcePath, which is most likely the broken value. It needs to point to the path of the XP files. So if you are using your D:\ drive to read the CD, you type D:.

Do not include i386, its implied.

This is most often the cause of the sfc failures. If the SourcePath key is wrong, then you get the insert disk over and over problem.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Woot ? Adrynalyne you're a hoot!

;)

Studio T

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Gotta give a hand of applause to Microsoft for this one. Whenever the source installation drive changes a letter, for whatever reason, it doesnt update this registry value and breaks SFC.

I don't think a lot of thought went into that one.

The Woot title is courtesy of Kodo ;)

10. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

okay i have this in the registry

ServicePackCachePath = c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache

I don't even have that directory ??? Servicepackfiles

ServicePackSourcePath = D:\ This is the DVD-ROM

I think i found it, it should be this right ???

ServicePackCachePath = c:\windows\Driver Cache\I386

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Cache path has nothing to do with sources.

I'm not sure what you are referring to??

I only mentioned two keys. None of the CachePath keys.

SourcePath should point to the drive reading your installation CD.

If its D:, then it should only say D:

ServicePackSourcePath should point to the directory where the backup servicepack files are. If you installed it from the web, its on your hard drive.

If you installed SP2 from CD, then it should point to the same path as SourcePath.

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Of course if the pc in questions has 2 or more cd drives and you put the cd disk into the wrong one.........

Normaly companies which produce this sort of sloppy programming are soon lost in oblivion.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds