Home Wifi and LAN connection problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spidermonkey26, Jul 20, 2008.

1. spidermonkey26

spidermonkey26 Private E-2

I recently was infected by and clean up a Trojan Virus on my computer; but I realized that my wifi adapter on the laptop only connects to by home wifi connection for about 5 minutes; and after that, the adapter still reads its is connected but the internet doesn't work. I also tried using my ethernet cable to connect to my internet through LAN but the internet still does not work.

But oddly, my computer works on other wifi connections. And all our other laptops also connect to our home wifi router.

Do you think the trojan damaged my wireless/LAN driver or should I reset by router?

Thanks

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Resetting the router usually helps, but not always. I'm not aware of a trojan that can infect a router. 9 out of 10 times malware infects the host pc - your pc. The remainder may cause irreparable problems to mobo bios, parts, etc.

You can also try removing the wifi adapter from device manager, restarting pc and resintalling the latest driver.

3. spidermonkey26

I reset the router yesterday and everything went back to normal until just now. The same problem persists. I'm not sure what how to reinstall the wifi adapter since it is within the laptop.

Can you give me any tips on how to do that that?

4. spidermonkey26

i feel like the wifi adapter for my pc is fine because it works perfectly fine on all networks EXCEPT for my home one. so that's why I find it very weird.

5. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

By all networks, do you mean wifi or wired?

To uninstall wifi adapter, go to start, control..., device manager, network adatpers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds