Internet Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by colt45, Apr 25, 2009.

1. colt45

colt45 Private E-2

Hey Guys, I'm new here but have used these threads to solve many issues.

I am at my wits end with a system and I need some help.

A friend wanted me to look at his computer because it stopped getting on the internet. It has Vista.

The Windows works otherwise, but it won't allow the browser to display webpages, AVG and other software to update, Windows Update will not connect, etc...

The computer is plugged into my router and it gets the correct IP settings and can see the other computers on the network. The network icons and notifications in Vista act like it is connect to the Internet. It will not connect in safe mode either.

To test the integrated nic I have installed a pci nic but it does the same.
    I have reset all network settings.
    I have updated AVG and Defender using updates download from another computer but the scans find no malware.
    I have run smitfraudfix in safe mode. (SDFIX will not run)
    I have reset Winsock.

Any more ideas out there? Thanks in advance. :)

2. Calyn

Calyn Private E-2

No ideas to help you with your problem but wondering if you could help me with mine?
    I'm looking for a safe program that will stop all these popups I'm getting everytime I log on to the inernet.
    Do you know of any good programs?

3. colt45

colt45 Private E-2

Alright Guys, I found the problem, and I'll take my licks because I discovered the solution by reading the FAQ that I should have read before posting.

The solution came when I set MSCONFIG back to normal mode, this allowed a window to open on startup saying that Internet Browsing was not possible without enabling Family Safety Services.

Used services.msc to try and enable, but Vista wouldn't let me.

Found out Family Safety Service is part of MS OneCare. Uninstalled it.

Now IE will surf, AVG and Windows will update.

Thanks for the FAQ and lash away at me for not reading FAQ before.

Calyn, read the FAQ and do everything. :-o

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds