Internet Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

First of all, I hope I'm in the correct forum. The problem described below is I believe is likely to be software.

Problem is on a laptop with Windows Vista SP1.

Are error codes when a modem fails to make an Internet connection standard? If not I suppose this thread is pointless. If they're standard then anyone help with Error Code 619. The connection was fine until Zone Alarm free standalone firewall installed. Turned off the firewall but the problem continues so I strongly doubt the firewall is responsible.

2. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Removed Zone Alarm using Add/Remove Programmes. Then checked Programs and found still file called ZoneLabs. I deleted it and its contents. Still getting the 619 error though

3. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Have you tried "Troubleshoot modem"? Try this: Start - help & support- type in the search bar "Troubleshoot modem" and run a modem check, to see if it is functioning properly.. You should be able to see all troubleshooting prospects of your modem.. I take it you are on a dial-up connection?

Also, don't you have a firewall on your windows you can turn on? Keep us posted. :wave

4. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hi

Thanks but did try to troubleshoot modem but came up with too many answers and couldn't identify one that really matched the problem.

So, want to ask what is the probability of this working. Laptop has just had MS Vista installed as a clean install wiping out all other data. Then software was installed for modem. Then Vista updated from using Windows Update. So, what I'm thinking is to uninstall the modem software and then reinstall it. The modem is brand new so I wouldn't have thought its drivers were too old and conflicting with Windows updates. Then I will reinstall the modem. I could try it without asking and find out for myself. But don't have access to the laptop for a couple of days and would rather not waste time trying something that is unlikely to work.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Don't use Windows update to update drivers for your hardware; that is probably why it is not working. Can you rollback the driver? That might be the only fix you need.

6. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I haven't updated the drivers!

All I have done is:

1. Reinstalled Windows Vista

2. Installed modem

3. Run Windows Update - and all that did was to update Windows Vista.

7. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi mark59, go back and read "DomLuc" post, as error 619 is such a catch-all, and is not specific... Let us know... What did you have on it BEFORE you installed Vista? If you reinstalled Vista, why did you do that? These answers might help us troubleshoot why you are getting this error.. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds