Internet activity on computers using my wifi connection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greekgod, Nov 8, 2010.

1. greekgod

greekgod Private E-2

Hello Guys,

I am in a bit of a dilemma here. i recently got 2 mails from my ISP provider saying that I have been downloading illegal movies off the internet. This is not true. They have showed me the trackers used for the torrents as well. I have 2 x house-mates who use my wifi connection. So more than likely its one of them

NOT that I want to SPY on their activity but is there a way technically possible for me to monitor their activity since my net is being used here? I have a Dynalink 1025W modem and they use it on wifi. I am in Australia and use TPG as my service provider. (Using windows XP 32-bit OS)

Much appreciate any help here.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Using OpenDNS on your locked down router will give you some measure of P2P/filesharing/torrent blocking if you set the web filters correctly.

There may also be a way to add to this protection using settings within the router too. Maybe you should ask your ISP (assumng they supplied the router) how to setup torrent-blocking?

Better to show the others the ISP's letter and tell them to quit or use someone else's connection than to try to monitor their activities online, I think.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

EDIT (timed out): for an Oz-centric view of Copyright Infringement notices, take a look at this discussion (60+ pages in 2 parts), you'll all need to take a day off :drink from work/studies to read through it though.

4. greekgod

greekgod Private E-2

Hello Satrow ..thanks very much for your help mate. Also what is your personal take on the issue of handing out these letters? You reckon as a user I cud get into trouble? I have definitely used torrents in the past but not this time when they actually send me the letters.

Thx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds