Internet Explorer problem following Hard disk problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by semiartificial, Feb 8, 2009.

1. semiartificial

semiartificial Private E-2

First of all, please excuse me, I'm very non-technical.

Some basic details of the set up:
    - Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    - Internet Explorer Version 7
    - Laptop: Compaq N620C 1.4GHz, 512Mb RAM

The machine is an ex-company laptop, which a colleague rebuilt.
    I have no XP discs etc.

When he had done it, he mentioned that the hard disk was making noises, consistent with possible failure.
    A crash followed about two months later, BSOD, but I managed to search for the error code and follow advice to get it going (via disk checking/fixing, my memory is vague and I didn't keep the details). This happened again, and a third time.

On the third time, I subsequently found that Internet Explorer would open, and show the first page of the chosen site, but if I clicked in any links in the page it reported that it "has encountered a problem and needs to close".
    If I click on the link, the dialog box states:

Error signature
    Appname:: iexplore.exe
    Appver: 7.0.6000.16512
    ModName: unknown
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0
    Offset: 00000001

Clicking on further details provides a huge amount of data, starting:

Exception information
    Code: 0xc0000005

Other software on the machine still seems to work and, contrary to my expectations, the hard drive hasn't failed now for a few months.

If working properly, the machine would be very useful for my son to use, for homework etc.
    My colleague works elsewhere now, so I can't ask him to help.
    Given I have no discs, what are the possibilities/options for fixing it?

For example (and I hestitate to say this), would downloading IE7 and copy/pasting iexplore.exe into my setup work? (or cause more problems!)

Thanks.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Try using a different browser like Opera or Firefox and see if they work. If you can surf OK using either of those, then we know the hardware is OK, and that the problem is exclusive to IE. Go to Add/Remove Programs and see if IE7 is listed (it will probably be listed towards the bottom of the list as "Windows Internet Explorer 7"). If it's listed, uninstall it and Windows will revert back to IE6 without losing any favorites or other web settings. If IE6 seems to work OK, then you can either just leave it working, or re-install IE7 by downloading it from this link.
    Good luck!

:-D

3. semiartificial

semiartificial Private E-2

Firefox worked fine.

I uninstalled IE7 and IE6 was fine.

I'm currently re-installing IE7

Absolutely brilliant advice, thank you so much!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds