Speakeasy Speed Test (is my speed fast?)

Discussion in 'Software' started by semenoff1948, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semenoff1948

semenoff1948 Private E-2

Well, I was Googling for a program or online checker to see speed of PC. I wanted to check to see if my computers speed was good or bad. Anyway, I end up going to something else for internet connection speed instead. I did a speak easy speed test.

My question is, is this a fast internet speed or slow? These are my results;
    "
    Download Speed: 734 kbps (91.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 94 kbps (11.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    "

I've been having trouble viewing web pages lately, and uploading videos.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

3. Jackie16

Jackie16 Private E-2

My internet speed is download speed:1478 and Upload speed :217 I check this speed test @ free of cost from http://www.ip-details.com/ Now shall i increase my Internet speed if So need help pls................

4. sdbett

sdbett Private E-2

Hmm! Looks a bit "Hooky" to me.

(1) Download/ Upload speeds always depend on the bandwidths of (a) The test system you are using twixt them and the sites they utlise for such tests (b) The sites you are visiting (Bandwidth size can cost them Billions of pounds for 1 year's licence) (c) IPs only promise "Up to (So many) Megs". This is also dependant on the bandwidth of the site you visit.

A "For instance", 'Facebook' runs a farming community which is only in "Beta" form. Therefore, there is NO against (a) Trojans arriving on your machine and (b) Speed.

Regs,

S.

5. sdbett

sdbett Private E-2

In the 2nd para, it should read "there is no guarantee" (Never could spell that word!).

6. semenoff1948

semenoff1948 Private E-2

7. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

That is perfectly fine for normal internet browsing. If you feel your connections is too slow and would like to make it faster, by all means purchase a faster connection.

8. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

[​IMG]

I would check the system configuration, and check the service.

9. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

onegoodman, you're most likely paying for a different amount of allotted bandwidth then semenoff. Has nothing to do with configurations, just what you are paying for, servers you are connecting to, etc.

10. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

I would check out some broadband ISP’s in your area. Yes I’m paying for FiOS Service

11. sdbett

sdbett Private E-2

Rubbish!

Everything relies on system set- up (Hardware/ software), formal clean downs, general running of the system AND what you pay for in promises from your ISP.

If you have ever built a system, it must be coal-fired.

Kind Regards,

S.

12. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

@sdbett..... While you make a fair point the first thing to find out is what package he pays for, no point in cleaning and configuring if the speed he's getting is all he's paying for. On the other hand I pay for an 8meg down 2 meg up and this is what I get.

[​IMG]

I understand this is all I get due to being so far from the exchange but I don't want to lose my package because it's near impossible to get uncapped package in this area and mine is grandfathered so I accept the drop in speed so I can keep my uncapped pack.

13. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Maybe he only has one DSL provider in his area, as is the case in my area. I agree with Dreamer, see what speed packages your ISP offers. If they're like my ISP, different speeds of service are available, depending on how much you're willing to pay. Your current speed indicates a basic level of DSL service. With my ISP, the lowest cost DSL service provides download speeds up to 768Mbps and, I believe, 184Mbps upload speeds. The next level up, which is what I have, provides speeds up to twice as fast, for $5 more per month. My mother's DSL service with AT&T offers the same speeds at the basic level as my ISP.

Your actual speed is likely to be a little lower than the maximum promised speed. The reason can be the distance from your place to the nearest "Central Office" of the telephone company.

You might also visit http://www.dslreports.com/tools and run their speed test for comparison to the test you results you already have. Also, run the Tweaks test; it can provide some tips on fine tuning your Internet connection.

14. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Fancy meeting you here again Jackie 16, what was wrong with our answer? Buy more speed or is there an ulterior motive here? Hmmm? That site you're using is still so new that it still has syntax errors. :-D

15. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

My bad for speaking about this specific issue and not for general computing. His speed is a typical low end dsl speed making my first instinct that it is not a configuration issue. That and he did not mention anything before being different.

Back to the basic gist of the question, if he is happy with it, his speed is normal, not absolutely fast, but fast enough for typical web browsing and email reading.

16. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

My download speed is supposed to be 3mbps....for three months it would get as low as 14kbps.....had nothing to do with my configuration. My isp was at fault. It took me that long to finally get the attention of the president of the company after posting on dslreports about the issue. They may have actually finally fixed the problem as the last week has been fine. ( NOTE: I said last week!!.....).

17. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

I'm doing okay for 5:30 PM Pacific Time ;)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds