uninstal Windows 7 PRO, instal Windows 7 HOME ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by FightingIrishX5, Oct 28, 2014.

1. FightingIrishX5

FightingIrishX5 Private E-2

I bought a refurbished computer that came with Windows 7 professional. it did not come with any CD. is there a way to uninstall Windows 7 professional and instal an older copy of Windows 7 home edition that I have on CD?

I also have another computer that has Windows 8. could the same thing be done with this computer, uninstalling Windows 8 and installing windows 7 home from my CD?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, FightingIrishX5. Welcome to Major Geeks. :)

Do you have the COA/Product Key sticker with that install DVD? If you do, there should be no problem with wiping the hard drive (ALL partitions) and installing 7 Home.

As far as "rolling back" from 8 to 7, you couldn't use the same DVD because it will only activate on one machine.

3. FightingIrishX5

FightingIrishX5 Private E-2

the computer with Windows 7 PRO has a sticker on the side with the product key, but the computer with Windows 8 does not have a sticker on the side and I'm not sure where I would find the product key.

I had already used Windows 7 from the CD I have, so I would need to buy a brand new Windows 7 CD?

another question with Windows 8. is there a way to remove the new start screen completely? I'm not sure what it's called but it has all the gadgets. I'd like that completely gone.

4. mdonah

Yes, (in fact 2 of them) WITH Product Key/COA. The Win 7 DVDs have all files necessary to install any version but, part of the Product Key determines which version is installed and you want home.

The Metro Interface of Win 8/8.1 and 10 are "part and parcel" of the OS. It's the same on Desktops, Notebooks, tablets and Windows cell phones and cannot be removed.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you have already installed Windows 7 from the disc you have, and activated it, you wont be able to legally activate it on another PC.

To find the product key for Windows 8, you can use a free program like ProduKey from NirSoft. But, it's pointless because you don't have the disc.

To replace the Metro Interface of Windows 8 with the Start Button and Menu of Windows 7, you can use the free app Start Menu 8 from IObit. Search for it on MajorGeeks.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you don't mind my asking, what is your purpose in replacing 7 Pro with 7 Home Premium? Is the existing installation giving problems? If it is, and as you have the product key, you can legally reinstall it by downloading and burning to DVD a Win 7 Pro ISO. Download HERE. Make sure you know whether you want 32 or 64 bit as your product key is for one or the other.

As to Win 8 my advice, whether you install a start menu app or not, would be to stay with it and get used to it. Ful Microsoftl support for Win 7 ends next January. Win 8 is a fine system, you just need to adapt to it.

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

8. mdonah

Is the reason you want to change from 7 Pro to 7 Home because the games aren't showing in 7 Pro? They're there but, you have to "activate" them. Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features and click on Turn Windows features on or off in the left pane. Once the new window populates, place a checkmark in the features you want activated (see att'd). Click OK. Once the features are activated, the window will close and you can close Control Panel.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds