Laptop freezing

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoodZwell, Oct 28, 2014.

1. GoodZwell

GoodZwell Private First Class

Hi. Not sure if this has anything to do with the pervious problem but for some reason if I leave on my laptop for a long period of time and not use it, it freezes. Ctrl, Alt, Delete does nothing I have to hold the power button down so I can restart the laptop?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You failed to mention the brand and exact model of the laptop and also the version of Windows, as well as Service packs on it.

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I had this problem, overheating was the cause. Apps like VLC media player were the cause in my case. Also, check that your vents areclear of dust, and you have good airflow around/under the laptop...

4. plodr

Generally overheating will cause a computer to turn off rather than freeze.

5. GoodZwell

Sorry for the delay in replying, and for not including my spec.

including a jpeg on the specs.

Asus G73Sw 64 bit.

Solid state drive for windows op.

I don't believe it's overheating as it doesn't shut down on its own. I'm leaning towards a software issue maybe but I'm as computer savie as I'd like to be.

Thanks for the help guys/gals. :)

Attached Files:

6. plodr

7. GoodZwell

Thanks for the reply. as this machine is about 3 or 4 years old I think. I'll be on my own to replace the gpu then.. rr.....

8. plodr

This is not something a home user generally can do. In a laptop, the gpu is soldered to the motherboard. If you know how to desolder and solder, and where to buy a replacement gpu, then I guess you could do it.
    My suggestion, turn it off when not expecting to use it in a few minutes and avoid the freeze.

9. juliavasa5

juliavasa5 Private E-2

It's overheating as it doesn't shut down on its own. I'm leaning towards a software issue maybe but I'm as computer savie as I'd like to be.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds