Do I really need Microsoft Net Framework

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

I am going to reinstall XP shortly and am deciding what I need and no longer need. Net Framework has been on my machine, I think as part of a Windows update, but I don't recall ever seeing it do anything, called for, needed for an app, anything, for that matter not sure exactly what it does. Do I really need it or can I leave it out of a re-install?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It's not needed for XP AFAIK but is required by many 3rd party programs to be able to run them. It's up to 2.0 right now. You can always add it later, if it's needed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I am going to reinstall XP shortly and am deciding what I need and no longer need. Net Framework has been on my machine, I think as part of a Windows update, but I don't recall ever seeing it do anything, called for, needed for an app, anything, for that matter not sure exactly what it does. Do I really need it or can I leave it out of a re-install? << keni254

The Microsoft .NET Framework is basically a Microsoft "application development platform" which enables developers to more easily create Windows based applications, web applications, and web services using a numerous different programming languages.

Whether or not you "need" it depends entirely upon which newer 3rd party applications programs you run. The "basic purpose" of the .NET framework is to enable the creation, development and running of so-called "next-generation" applications and XML Web services and reduce vulnerability of applications to security threats.

Because the .Net has a single common set of class library, developers have the ability to write programs in any .net based programming language, without having to worry about low-level details like memory management and processor-specific instructions.

Summing up here:
    .NET Framework is becoming a key component of the Microsoft Windows operating system and is intended to ultimately be used by most new applications created for the Windows platform; which manages the execution of programs written specifically for the framework.

Although .NET Framework hasn't really been a "huge hit" or made any significant impact upon the consumer environment (like it's starting to in the business/corporate environment); eventually at least, it will be necessary to have it installed. It's just a matter of time. Since the .Net will at least "eventually" be used in many 3rd parties’ Internet and non Internet applications; I believe it is a good idea to have it installed.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  4. FighterJetMom

FighterJetMom Private First Class

I've never been one to start a new thread when an old one will do.

I'm OK with keeping .NET on my machine, but...

Do I really need every successive release of the .NET framework on my machine (1.0, 1.0 hotfix, 1.0 service release, etc., etc.), or do I just need the latest one? I'm not a developer who needs to test .NET against different applications.

Some useful information here but not really an answer to my question that I could find.

FJM

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds