Realtek Audio Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by dutchj, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dutchj

dutchj Private E-2

The sound on my PC has always worked, and as of now still works. But recently I've bought Call of Duty 4 for my PC, and the drivers I have conflict with that. No problem, I just searched for new ones. That's where the problems start.

Every single source I can find says I need Realtek Audio AC97 drivers. But those won't install. I've been to my motherboards driver download page, but that got me the old drivers. I've been to the website of the onboard soundcard ( SiS 7012 audio device ) , and that gave me the drivers. ( a12112d.zip ). The driver update programs get me A4.04 Realtek AC97 audio. When no drivers are installed, windows prompts a message stating: Insert Realtek AC97 Audio CD.

When I try to install the AC97, first it goes along fine. But when a window pops up with the Realtek logo, a progress bar and the message: Begin to install/update AC'97. I get a BSOD every time. I've tried to manually install it through device manager. But then it told me I needed ALCXWDM.sys. Fine, I directed it to the file, but at the end of the installation I get a BSOD again.
    In safe mode I can finish the installation no problem. But when i reboot it immediately gives me a BSOD as soon as windows starts.
    The audio drivers from the SiS website crashes just when installation starts, displaying an error with some seemingly random numbers (-536870397) and then telling me that the installation can't be completed. When i do it manually the same thing happens as with the Realtek, so it's probably the same driver.

My motherboard is an ASUS P4SP-MX with ADI AD651 chipset and SiS 7012 onboard sound device. Does anyone know how to install the AC'97 properly, or can anyone direct me to another driver that will work for me? My current driver is SoundMAX 5.12.01.3665 by Analog Devices.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Are you trying to install the audio driver from SIS or the one from ASUS? Sometimes manufacturers modify their drivers slightly.
    Here is a link to installing and uninstalling SoundMax drivers:
    http://forms.analog.com/Form_Pages/soundMAX/soundMAXSupportFAQ.html#question7
    I would first uninstall the old, then run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html
    Reboot, but don't let Windows install a driver if it tries to.

This is the XP audio driver from ASUS:
    SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3665 WHQL for Windows 98/ME/2K/XP.

3. dutchj

dutchj Private E-2

I've already tried to install the drivers from the ASUS website before. I've tried it again now after uninstalling my drivers and running CCcleaner, but they won't install with the installer or manually. The only drivers that work for me are the ones on the CD that came with my Motherboard. I also found some newer SoundMAX drivers somewhere, but those didn't fix the problem with the game crashing.
    Notable is that the drivers on my CD are supposed to be the same as on the website, but when I manually try to install the ones from the website through the device manager, it calls them Realtek AC'97 drivers, and gives me the same ALCXWDM.sys error as described in my first post. On there appear to be 3 different folders in the audio drivers part. I'll see what I can dig up on that, as one is called SiS, and one AD1980 and the last C-media. Which points to that there are actually 3 different drivers on the CD.

I really think I need to install the new Realtek drivers to fix the problem, as I've heard of other people who fixed it like that. But those won't install as I've said. I'll see if anything on the CD will fix it, and if it does I will post about it.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You have the motherboard CD with drivers?
    Install the chipset drivers, just to make sure they haven't gotten corrupted.
    SoundMax does use the Realtek AC'97 chip, but I am unsure if regular Realtek divers will unstall and work properly. (I don't think they will because of the motherboard software)
    But, here are the AC'97 drivers that are listed here. They should be the newest available.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_AC97_Drivers_d4400.html

As far as conflicting with COD4, have you searched the forum at the game site for similar problems and the fix?

5. dutchj

dutchj Private E-2

Yes I've searched pretty much all over the web. I've tried everything else that's a possible fix. I haven't been able to find any chipset drivers in the past, but I'll see if there are any on the CD.

6. dutchj

dutchj Private E-2

The chipset drivers I've been able to find didn't work for me. Something notable I've found on the BSOD is that the conflicting file during the installation of the new AC'97 drivers is portcls.sys.

Aren't there any drivers other then Realtek that are compatible with my motherboard? I've heard of people who installed a certain Nvidia audio driver on their AC'97.

For further reference, I will attach an Everest report to this post:

Attached Files:

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

8. dutchj

dutchj Private E-2

The download link on that one doesn't work. I've already downloaded the 3.73 version of that driver, but that returns me the following error: (-5011 0×80040707 ) with setupDLL.cpp as the problem. setupDLL.cpp is not in the folder it displays it as it should be in, so maybe a different download will work.

9. dutchj

dutchj Private E-2

Ehm, is there any apparent reason why you copied my post?

Either way, I'm currently trying to find alternate drivers that could work for my sound. Via Vinyl sound drivers do register on my pc, but don't get me any sound. I got the idea because someone else said those drivers worked on their Realtek AC97. Can anyone suggest AC97 supportive drivers that could work for me other then the ones I have ( see first post ) or Realtek audio?

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Wow, thought I did last night. This driver is straight from Realtek. Give it a try.
    Realtek audio/WDM_A404.exe

But again, I doubt if it will work as you should have SoundMax. Make sure to set a restore point first.

11. dutchj

dutchj Private E-2

I've already tried that one at least a dozen times. Restore point's not needed though, it just doesn't install. Keeps getting me a BSOD with a STOP : 0x0000007E error with portcls.sys as the problem. Installing it on safe mode gets me a BSOD after every boot up. It's what I started this thread for. I've tried everything to get it to work, but it won't. So I'm trying to find alternate drivers now. The latest version of the suggested SoundMAX driver is very old, and that's what causing the problem because of which I want to change drivers.

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I don't think the driver's are really the problem. If the Realtek one will not install nor the others, it sounds like there is a fault in your OS.
    If you have an XP disc or a recovery partition/disc. Insert it and goto Run, type in cmd.exe click OK, then type in sfc /purgecache in the command window, press Enter , then type sfc /scannow press Enter and let it check for and repair corrupted or missing files.
    Then give the installs a try.

13. dutchj

dutchj Private E-2

I'm still having the same problems. The driver I currently have is the problem by the way. It is what's making my game crash.
    I find it pretty weird that there are no alternate drivers available anywhere. There's usually enough of those around somewhere...

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you have sound on your PC, then you have the right audio driver. It can only be updated to make it work better.
    If there isn't an update for it, then I have no more help I can give. I don't really know what you mean be an alternative driver. You have have the one meant for your system.
    If the forums at the COD site have no fixes, then there are none. I really don't think you could be the only one with that problem. If others have that problem then there would be posts at COD and there would more than likely be fixes.

15. dutchj

dutchj Private E-2

With alternative drivers I mean drivers from a different manufacturer. I've tried all know fixes, I guess I'll just have to wait until I get a new Motherboard. Thanks for all you help.

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Ok, got you now. You can't use (to my knowledge) a Via, SoundMax, or any other driver to replace a Realtek. Driivers just aren't interchangeable.
    Thinking a bit about your problem, have you checked your Event Viewer for info on the crashes or looked for mini-dumps?
    This link will help if you are getting BSOD's.
    HOW TO: Debug Memory Dumps (Figure out what is causing a BSOD)

17. andrewculda

andrewculda Private E-2

That's about the way it worked for me.
    My problem was similar. Everytime i tried to install the realtek ac97 driver it would cause a BSOD and restart. Then i checked the dumps and saw that portcls.sys and some other files were causing the issue.
    Here's what i did (after many unsuccessful attempts and hours of reading):

1. I uninstalled the RealTek Driver that was continuously causing BSODs and prevented Windows from installing it again by deleting the files from all places: program files (realtek), windows drivers folder, windows driver cache folder... from everywhere else i could find them on the PC.
    2. I downloaded some of the files needed by the driver (portcls.sys, ks and few others) separately from the Internet.
    3. I installed SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3665 WHQL for Windows 98/ME/2K/XP and provided the files from step 2 when asked.

It now works...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds