Can a PC recognize a vga camera?

Discussion in 'Software' started by stuckon, May 26, 2010.

1. stuckon

stuckon Private E-2

I got a new security camera and was hoping to get my PC to recognize it. It is a BNC cable that gets converted to a VGA cable by an adapter I bought. It works when I hook it up to a monitor but my PC doesn't recognize it and does nothing.

I was hoping to find software that would get my PC to list the camera as a recording device (like my webcam).

I have a program so that the video can be saved on my computer if I can only get my computer to recognize the camera.

Is there anyway that could be done for FREE??

Any suggestions??

I have a Windows 7 HP HDX laptop with VGA port.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

The problem is that VGA ports on computers are one way - as in display out only, this is at a hardware level. What you need is a card that can use the BNC input direct.

3. stuckon

stuckon Private E-2

Hey thanks! That saves me some time and money.

Now, I have another question... I noticed that I could also get a VGA to USB adapter...

If the video feed came in through the USB port, then would my PC recognize it or would it still function as a one-way deal??

Thanks!!

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

That would depend on how the adapter works. I would assume that it is one way coming out, but I am not sure without a part link.

As I said before, the ideal situation for you would be a card that goes in the ExpressCard slot of your laptop with a BNC connector (or many) on it, but after hunting around I cannot seem to find one. There are plenty of PCI cards for desktops, though.

5. stuckon

stuckon Private E-2

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

7. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

You need a video capture device like:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WS-DSR104&cat=VID

or for USB
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CL-UVAA-4CH&cat=VID
    I have not yet tested this with multiple cams - but works fine from a single cam - you have to plug it in the #2 input for some reason?

For a single camera
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AS-EZ-CAP1&cat=VID

I have one of those PCI cards just have not had the time to install it, but the USB 'easy caps' work fine either with the software they give you on 3rd party apps like webcamxp or webcam 7, dorgem & yawcam.

8. stuckon

stuckon Private E-2

Thanks for the links

Well, since I have a laptop, I cannot install the video card and the EasyCAP adapters look like their for a component cable instead of the bnc cable my camera has...

Thanks anyway!!

9. stuckon

stuckon Private E-2

10. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Yes, you can get an adapter from BNC to RCA - that is my hook up right now. The easy cap dvr version comes with 'dvr security' software. But with all the software I've ever used they generally detect all kinds of capture devices.

11. stuckon

stuckon Private E-2

Alright!! Sweeet!

I think that is what I'm going to do.

Thank you collinsl and foogoo for all your help!!
    Couldn't have done it without you

12. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

No Problem - glad we got you sorted in the end.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds