Bridge Wireless and LAN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by master-s, Apr 8, 2005.

1. master-s

master-s Private E-2

[font=&quot]Ok I have a question is it possible to setup a network Bridge via wireless and LAN when one is not connected. This is what I am thinking. I am sitting in at my desk and I am using my laptop with the wireless enabled and then I decided I want to connect to the network with a hardwire because I can get faster speeds for transfusing files...I don't want to go through the trouble of having to turn off the wireless on the laptop because it has bluetooth and if I turn of the wireless it also turns that off as well that and I am lazy.
    So if I am connected via the wireless and LAN I am just going to end up confusing the network like hell [​IMG].

I Thought if I setup a network bridge between the Wireless and LAN adapter through windows XP that this would solve the problem. But when I don't have the LAN connected my bridge no longer works. It seems like the bridge only works when both are connected at the same time.

Does anyone know of a way around this.[/font]

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

The whole idea of a bridge is to make things working together and make it one network.

So making a bridge is exactly the opposite of what you want to achieve.

You can disable one connection by right click on the icon and choose Disable for the specific connetion.

:cool:

3. master-s

master-s Private E-2

I know that is the whole Idea of creating the network bridge I was just wondering if there would be a way that I would not have to disable the other network connection.
    I also thought this may be helpful for the reps that I work with that barely know how to turn on their laptop.

4. Jawa Slayer

Jawa Slayer Corporal

I don't think you really need a bridge. Having both a wireless and a LAN on at the same time shouldn't confuse the computer. A bridge would only be neccessery if you wanted ONE computer to connect through YOUR computer to ANOTHER computer which that computer isn't connected to. But to answer your question, no, I don't think you can create a bridge with only one of the connections active, although the simple way to check would be to try. I assume you don't unplug either of the connections from your computer, so the other connection is just sitting in the Network Connections folder, disconnected? Just high-light both connections and pick the bridge connection option from the menu. If it don't work, it don't work! Worth a try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds