Unprotected Items Firefox Spybot??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raz, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Raz

Raz Private E-2

Ok so after completely formatting my drive, I have reinstalled Spybot, as well as other programs. Now at first when I Immunized all the items were protected, but now, Firefox has several items unprotected. How do I get these items protected???

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

3. Raz

Raz Private E-2

I believe I have everything up to date, since I have just formatted, but I will confirm, and I will check that site, thanks (on holidays not at home...)

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Please confirm the boxes on the left are checked in the Firefox section when you are selecting "Immunize"....

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Additionally, please click on the green + immunize button. Do that every time when you see that there are unprotected items showing. Verify if all items are protected after every Spybot update and immunize by doing the (additional) step shown.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  6. Raz

Raz Private E-2

Thanks guys, it seems as though I did not have the most current version installed. Everything is peachy!

7. scottishlass

scottishlass Private E-2

I've done all of these steps (installing the latest, downloading all of the latest updates, and clicking the immunize + button), and I STILL have unprotected items. HELP!

scottishlass
    "You can't! It's impossible! I'm far too busy, so ask me now before I can become sane." - Edna "E" Mode

8. scottishlass

scottishlass Private E-2

Thanks for the advice, MarkTrent. I wish it worked. I checked Task Manager: no Firefox running. I opened Spybot, clicked on the Immunize on the left, waited for it to complete, clicked on the Immunize + button, waited (with baited breath) for it to complete. I've still got those nasty little buggers. Any other suggestions?

scottishlass
    "You can't! It's impossible! I'm far too busy, so ask me now before I can become sane." - Edna "E" Mode

9. scottishlass

scottishlass Private E-2

Screenshot as requested.

scottishlass

Attached Files:

10. oma

oma MajorGeek

11. scottishlass

scottishlass Private E-2

Hi, guys. (Hope that's PC!)
    1. I have XP SP3, not Vista (thank goodness).
    2. I tried ALL of the suggestions, including those of "Vista orientation".
    None of my "warriors" returned from the field of battle to claim victory (to continue the metaphor).

There was something that I noticed (that I forgot to mention the previous times) when I clean reinstalled Spybot. I got a pop-up stating that there was a possible "conflict of interest" because I have Lavasoft's AdAware (version 2008) on the machine, too. Could that be the culprit that's causing all of this hullaballoo? [I apologize for not mentioning it before - most of the time, I end up installing things with this kind of pop-up and everything "comes up roses".] :eek:

This new AdAware's been a royal pain in my bum, too. :cry Is there any other fre*e adware screener that works as well?

scottishlass

12. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

What looks odd to me is SpyBot is seeing two default installations, two cookies, etc... But maybe that's the way FF 3 works? I haven't gotten around to installing the latest version yet so don't know. But in FF 2.0.0.16, SpyBot only shows one default for each, not two. In the screen shot, one default is protected and one is not.

13. scottishlass

scottishlass Private E-2

Thanks for the update re: Firefox. I WAS on 2.0.0.16 but have just updated it to 3.0.1. I rechecked my Add or Remove Programs to see if I had "double the fun" (oldie but goodie for those who remember the commercial - I think I just dated myself rolleyes), namely two versions of FF installed simultaneously. I DID find an old Mozilla Firefox 0.8. lurking about there which was "unremovable", but I nixed it in regedit. Then I reran Spybot. Guess what? (Sorry; no good news I'm afraid!) I'm still getting that screen.

Should I do a clean install of FF3? I really don't want to because this is my hubby's computer, and I don't know all of his settings. If I absolutely HAVE to do this, can I, if at all, back his settings up and install them into the latest version?

Are there any more suggestions OTHER than a clean install?

scottishlass

P.S. - MarkTrent, I will be investigating your anti-malware suggestions shortly!

14. Chimpy

Chimpy Private E-2

Just fyi, I'm seeing the same issue. I'll attach a screenshot of my immunize screen.

Windows XP SP3
    Firefox v3.01
    Spybot v1.6.0.30
    I run F-Prot but have that disabled during immunize as it's been known to slow down installs/updates, etc.
    No firefox.exe running in the background.

This is my work PC so I don't have a bunch of strange stuff installed. Pretty straight forward.

It DOES look like Spybot sees two installs of Firefox but even so, I'd think it would immunize both? I don't actually have two installed though unless Firefox does something wonky during updates to make it seem as though there are two versions installed (Firefox Safe Mode, for example?). I will look into that further when I have the time as the more I think about it, it really shouldn't be showing two installs.

Lastly, this is my first post here so, hello all. :)

Attached Files:

15. Chimpy

Chimpy Private E-2

I only have a single profile. Screenshot attached...

Attached Files:

16. Chimpy

Chimpy Private E-2

Here's another screenshot with the profile expanded.

Attached Files:

17. Chimpy

Chimpy Private E-2

I've only ever used the update feature built into Firefox. But thanks for the info, it gives me something to look at. I'll probably just reinstall Firefox from scratch and see if that corrects the issue. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds