Computer randomly restarts during graphic intense programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by akam, Mar 3, 2010.

1. akam

akam Private E-2

I just updated my system 4 days ago and for the first two days the system ran great. But the other night i started getting random shut downs which later lead to blue screens giving me the error code 0x000000FC executing non-executeable memory. I fixed the blue screen issue by getting into windows in safe mode and uninstalling the drivers and downloading the newest versions but the resets are still occuring randomly. It only occurs when playin games like wow or running the video card test from stanford.
    Current System
    ASUS M4A785-M:$79.99ASUS ENGT220/DI/1GD2(LP)
    AMD ADX240OCK23GQ
    G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ:
    Seagate ST3750528AS
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2

I'm running smart fan which is telling me my gpu is running around 60-67*c but when it hits 73+ it will shutdown, could this be an issue with my powersupply? My power supply is a few years old its a 500W power supply. I turned off the vertical syc option on my graphics options and i havent had an issue yet but i can tell its still having issues and is on the boarder of shutting down, im just limiting the time i leave these programs running.

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

What make and model is your power supply?

Certainly sounds like either a PSU (power supply unit) or Heat problem.

73C is a low shut down temp, although your GFX card isn't exactly a beast it should handle more than that.
    Having said that if it's shutting down due to overheating then it's a heat problem.
    What are you using to get GPU temps?

Also what kind of case do you have this system in and what kind of cooling do you have (eg:fans etc)?

3. akam

akam Private E-2

PSU is a Turbolink mdl#:ATX-CW500P4.

I'm using SpeedFan 4.40 to read all my temps. My GPU usually runs around 32-40 idle and runs around 50-70 while playing games. I have an old school Antec case the huge tower ones with 2 fans in the rear and a side fan. Every thing has a lot of space in this case.

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok so it breaks down like this?

You can run the games in question at lower settings but it feels like it's going to crash.
    You cannot run the games at higher settings because it will crash.
    Your GFX card idles at around 35C but jumps to 60C (approx)

The GFX card you have is relatively low end as far as performance goes and as I and a few others have recently discovered WOW does require a fair bit to run at higher settings.

It could be your PSU, but your GFX doesn't require massive amounts of power and the specs of your PSU should handle it, although your PSU is pretty low end too so you probably don't actually get what it says you should get in power.

If you have or can get hold of another PSU to test, minimum 450W then it would help eliminate it one way or another.

Do you have any other games you can try?
    Preferably games released in the last couple of years.

Do you get any indication of faltering when not playing games or benchmarking?

I'm assuming when you said you upgraded that it was the GFX card you upgraded from onboard?
    And this is when you started having problems?

5. akam

akam Private E-2

I've tried to run the Folding@home-gpu and this is where i found that my comp will restart when the GPU hits around the 73*C mark. I actually "upgraded" my system from the original system i put together in 2003. TI4400 ---> GT220, I'm not much of a new gamer I play the older ones like wow and CS, although the comp did restart when i tried to play CS: Source prior to turning vertical sync off. Since i changed those settings in the past couple days, I have not had any restarts but I did receive one BSOD which read 0x000000EA vga-in bad, or something along those lines. The GFX card was an upgrade that game with the package so I havent even attempted to use the onboard video that came with the motherboard.

Other than games play or benchmarking my computer seems to run smoothly, and all my temperatures seem to be steady and low. I'm thinking i should purchase a new PSU and see where to go from there.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

When you upgraded the video card did you fully remove the previous driver (even though its an nVidia one) and then clean install the new latest one?

Could be worth doing this....

also do you have PC Anywhere from Symantec installed? some info HERE while all may not be applicable to you if you do not have PC Anywhere installed, I would try the hardware accelleration advice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds