Total versus available physical memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JenCan, Aug 18, 2011.

1. JenCan

JenCan Private E-2

Computer's been acting wonky for weeks now. My job requires me to use the internet extensively, but I have several tools for keeping it clean and I'm fanatical about running them every day; it doesn't FEEL like a malware problem. The issue that originally got my attention is that when I try to print, I get:

"insufficient disk space to print"

Today I notice that my:

Total physical memory is 1024.00 mb
    Total available memory is 57.80 mb

Available memory seems very low. Is this a possible source of my problems? Or could the size of my pagefile have something to do with it?

I appreciate any insight you might offer.

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Do you manually manage your pagefile?

Yes, your available memory is low. What version of Windows are you using? 1GB is pretty low RAM for any of them anymore. XP SP2 ran okay with 1GB, but SP3 pretty much wants 2GB it seems to me. Windows Vista needs kicked to the curb, but RAM-wise it definitely needs 2GB. I have an older laptop with Windows 7 that I believe has 1.5GB of RAM, but it's definitely not as good as it would be with 2GB.

If I were you, I'd look at the Task Manager and see what's using all your RAM (process list). Likely your browser, if you have a lot of tabs open. You probably want to look into upgrading your RAM.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

How much space do you have on your hard drive?

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I agree with the other posters. 2 gigs is usually the best, if possible, on 32 bit Windows. I am currently using W7 Ultimate with 2 gigs and have no complaints.

One of the first "must haves" on any PC's I own, or have access to, is :
    Excellent Rating by over 500 MG Members. :)
    Dont be put off by the name, I have used it from XP to Vista to W7 .
    What I most like about it is that displays your Ram number free, automatically recalculates AND can be manualy freed up at any time by double clicking on the icon. If your free Ram unexpectedly drops you are instantly aware of it and using Task Manager (as suggested in an earlier post) you can soon track down the offender.

Bazza

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I agree as low RAM will only slow the machine and not give one a warning. Run CCleaner for starters and get your boss to spring for an additional drive to move stuff to from your boot drive. They are very cheap these days.

6. JenCan

JenCan Private E-2

I run ccleaner every day along with several others. I am an independent contractor which means I have to spring for any extras myself -- a problem right at the moment. But with everyone's help here, I realize now that what I really need is more memory. I have moved a LOT of data files to CD and uninstalled a couple of large programs I haven't used for a long time. It seems better so far (no more printing issues since).

I'm gonna check into the download recommended by bigbazza and also try going through the unnecessary services list by Black Viper (very slowly, just a change or two a week) so there's less crap starting up and running that I don't need. I think there's also a few more programs I can get rid of -- I just need to take some time to make sure I don't need them. If I can get this thing running well enough that I can do what I need to do day-to-day, I might actually be able to make some $$$ and do something more permanent to prevent this problem from cropping up again for as long as possible.

Thank you all so much for your opinions. I've been saved a lot of time and trouble from knowing the most likely culprit and how to approach it both short- and long-term instead of dealing with the frustration of trying to diagnose a problem that's not even there. I appreciate it so very much.

I wonder if anyone could share an opinion if I should get memory that installs inside my tower or would I be better off with an external drive? Would an external run through a usb connection?

Thanks again,

JenCan

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

There ya go! You must have a lot more drive space now, as 56 MB basically means that programs have no place to run/ use anymore. Since you deleted a couple of big applications then I would suggest that you compress your drive by defragmenting it, MyDefrag is good, there are other good ones too. This will move everything left on your HDD(Hard Disk Drive) into the space that was left when you uninstalled those programs, thereby speeding it up as the drive doesn't have to find fragments all over the place.

BTW, when one mentions 'memory', that means RAM. The HDD is not the same obviously, just trying to eliminate possible confusion here.;) On the topic of an external HDD, yes they use USB and would be good and easy insurance for your backups. I think that's it.

8. JenCan

JenCan Private E-2

Hi augiedoggie,

So what I need is more RAM. I'm not good with hardware and distinctions in different types of memory, so when I get ready to make a purchase, I will be back to ensure I get the right/best thing and don't overpay for it.

I believe I'm past the crisis for now. I downloaded the program bigbazza posted a link to and when I opened everything I use for work (worst case, but it's not always that much), I had about 75 MB left. But using that program, I told it to free memory, and I'm at 450-500 right now. I can set a certain minimum amount to trigger it to auto free RAM (defaults at 56 MB) so I will need to play with that setting.

And I do need to defrag again (I use SmartDefrag) because although I'm pretty sure I did it after I uninstalled the programs, I'm know I haven't since I removed the data files. So I bet that'll help too.

Again, thanks to you and everyone. I was totally freaking out because my job is internet-based AND I'm starting back to school in a week -- I NEED this thing to work and I won't have time to fool with it later. For now I've been able to buy some time and if it gets goofy again, I'll know how to deal. What a relief!!! :cool

Have a great weekend,

JenCan

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Hi JenCan. Glad that FreeRam XP Pro worked for you. :cool

I just keep an eye on the Number in the icon and double click on it then I think I need it. You will soon see what is "a normal number" for your usage.

I don't worry about a minimum setting. ;)

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds