Office Starter 2010 and Office 2007 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Jan 5, 2012.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

My Dell Inspiron came with Microsoft Office Starter 2010. It has only Word and Excel. I have an Office 2007 Ultimate disk which has all the goodies. Can I install 2007 over Starter 2010, or should I remove Starter 2010 (if that's possible) first? Thanks.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Remove and then install 2007. Otherwise, 2k10 takes precedent over older versions.

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks, brownizs. As I mentioned, Office Starter came with my laptop. I don't have a disk of it. So if I remove it, will I be able to get it back if I don't like Office 2007?

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you know someone with a .edu email, or you do, you can get 2010 pretty cheap still, through the Microsoft Student store. You can install Office on up to three machines, which I have done for both my son & daughter, and when I had it on my netbook, until I switched to Ubuntu x64 on it.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You'd probably have to restore your computer to the factory condition to get it back unless you made disks when the computer was new. Some of those self made disks, allow you to install just one program.

6. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have to choose between the two. I was getting along okay with Office Starter until I came across a program that I'd like to have but which requires Office Access, which I don't have with Starter. I understand how Office 2010 would take precedence over Starter for Word and Excel. Now I'm wondering if I could install and use Office 2007 for the things that Starter doesn't have. Is there any reason I should not do this--have both Starter and 2007 at the same time?

7. plodr

I've been reading some threads. People that had starter and installed Office 2007 get errors and have problems opening files created with Starter.

If all you want is Access, it appears that you can purchase just Access 2010
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/get-microsoft-access-FX102159812.aspx
    that might be the safest. Otherwise, remove Starter completely and install Office 2007 Pro.

Upgrading Starter appears not to be a solution for you because Access is not included
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/starter/starter-purchase-FX101679971.aspx

8. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks for the information and the advice. I think I should just give up on the Access program I wanted and leave things the way they are. At least things are working okay, so I won't take any chances.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I would use 2007 if you really want to use Access. I have both 2k7 & 2k10, and like 2k10 Access better, but 2k7 Access reminds me of how a real sotware program should work. At work, we use only Access 2k7 and the learning curve between the two really is not that much.

10. plodr

If he wants to run 2007, he will need to completely remove starter otherwise he will have problems.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Already covered that in Post #2.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds