Panda Free AV 2015 fails

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Aug 14, 2014.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Running XP. The setup file downloads but simply fails to execute.

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Are you running 32 or 64-bit XP and is the installer you downloaded a 32 or 64-bit executable?

Have you tried downloading the installer again? You may simply have a corrupt executable.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

In line with what rustysavage says, did you download Panda from Major Geeks (there was a release today) or from some other site? There have been problems with apps that are listed on MG's but, people have downloaded bogus files from elsewhere.

4. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I downloaded from here at MG, and tried both MG downloads, neither one will execute. You double click the setup, but nothing happens. Running XP 32 bit.

5. rustysavage

There may be a running app or service that's interfering with the installer launch. Prior to launching the installer, shut down any antivirus/antimalware apps that you have running. If that doesn't work then try launching the installer from Safe Mode.

6. mdonah

Along with what rustysavage states in his last post, are you having problems with any other installers? This would confirm what he says.

7. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

No change in this issue, plus the download from Panda's site won't execute the .exe file to install. Currently running Panda 2.3.0 free. Never had this issue, even when trying out Panda 3.0 when it first came out. Also stopped Panda from running but the new version file still won't run.

8. rustysavage

Like mdonah, I would like to know whether you are having problems launching other executables (programs), or is the problem limited to just the Panda installer? Certain types of malware can interfere with the launching of various antivirus/antimalware applications in particular or all EXE files in general. Although it would be very unusual for malware to block the launching of a single specific executable on your system, it wouldn't hurt for you to run some antimalware apps that scans your computer memory for any hidden running malware. Download and run RogueKiller:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/roguekiller.html

It requires no installation; just download it and run it.

You can also try RKill:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/rkill.html

It too requires no installation; just download it and run it.

Another possibility is that your Panda installer is in Microsoft Windows Installer format (extension MSI). If it is then you may have a corrupt registry entry that is preventing the installer from launching. That you could fix by downloading and running a fix from the people at Tweaking.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_repair_msi_(windows_installer).html

Lastly, do try running the installer in Safe Mode as this could rule out a lot of possible causes and make it easier for others to diagnose your problem.

9. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Without running the recommended programs yet I'll add this...Neither Panda or Malwarebytes has detected any problems as of this week. No other program executables for installs are failing. Also, this new Panda version downloads in mere seconds, as compared to the typical prior versions, including 3.0 or 3.0.1, whose 50 mb download takes 3-4 minutes or so. As I said, I currently run 2.3.0 and don't want to bother with retrying 3.0 or 3.0.1 as I don't want the Win 8 type interface, or to have to roll back to 2.3.0 after trying the higher version installs again, it's doable but time consuming. All other applications I update to install without issue. Updating to new Panda versions includes automatic uninstalls of the existing versions... I wonder if a clean install attempt of this Panda 2105 would work, yet again I'm thinking Panda 2015 will also feature the Win 8 look interface. So, that's where I am for now. Thanks so far for the assistance.

10. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Resolved. The downloads offered here are defective and won't execute for installation. I don't know why. But I found the download elsewhere today, August 20 and the correct download resulted in proper installation for this new version.

11. mdonah

I don't know why your download didn't work. I downloaded Panda from Major Geeks and it installed fine. I got rid of it though because browsing slowed.

12. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

The only thing I observed that suggests an issue with the downloads here was that they downloaded in 2-3 seconds, whereas a normal download for a full program would typically take longer. Somewhat of a ghost issue. I tried all three mirrors but the result was the same. Interesting too that Chrome or IE browsing isn't slowed on this machine with Panda.

13. mdonah

That 1.58MB download from MG's is a front end downloader for the 50+MB that's actually the AV kind of like the downloader for Macrium Reflect. What I didn't like about it was the fact that it was "Bundleware". It wanted to add a Tool Bar, change Search Providers and Home/Start Page. Of course, I de-selected all of those options but, still...

I didn't try it with IE or Chrome (never run Chrome because it blue screened my computer trying to access restricted memory). It did slow down FF considerably.

14. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the input. A rare instance, whatever the cause. One other observation, some websites allow or run a 'share' option at the page bottom for which the user can show/hide the notice. But it always appears/comes back on the next instance. Can this be defeated? I can't seem to find a work around or a setting to change.

15. mdonah

I've run across that "share" item on a couple of sites (blue rectangle at bottom of screen) but, don't know how to get rid of it. I just ignore it. I doesn't interfere with what I need to do on those sites. Something that annoys me now is a social media window that comes up and you can't do anything else until you close it out. It happens here at Major Geeks from time to time. rolleyes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds