Component/CPU Testing/Benchmarking

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I'd like to test my CPU to see if its working properly.

I understand that a way I can do this is to run some 'standard' tests which use mainly the CPU, and compare the results with known working CPUs of the same type.

I have found some such freeware, but it always seems to lacking the reference results. Does anyone know of some program for this purpose to compare with an Intel SL77U/RK80532RC068128/BX80532RC2700B

or perhaps someone has other ideas or can put me straight on anything I've misunderstood ?

Dumb_Question
    19.August.2014
    Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I would start with running Prime95.
    Run it with a temperature monitor for 10 to 15 minutes before you leave it alone. This will test your CPU and RAM stability and overnight is pretty much the standard.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/get/prime95,2.html

3. Dumb_Question

OK, Prime95 has been running for a few hours now.

I had to use a different version to the one DOA's link pointed to, as that was for a 64 bit system and I'm running Windows XP home 32-bit.

I use Speedfan to check temperature for a couple of reasons. It gives good agreement with other temperature monitoring programs with a CPU reading eg Sandra, MBM5, even though my CPU does not have a temperature monitoring diode built into the processor core (IDK exactly where the temperature monitors are) as later types do (Core Duo & subsequent; I'm not exactly sure when Intel started doing this).

Aside from the fact that it runs, says it's P4 type (which it is), and it keeps using the word "passed", IDK what it's telling me. Is my CPU below par or top-notch for what it is ? As I said, I can't find any data for the SL77U CPU to compare with.

Dumb_Question
    22.August.2014
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

5. Dumb_Question

Thanks for directing me to that of CPU data.

I also found a list of CPU performances (expressed in different way) at http://mersenne.org/report_benchmarks/ wich seemed to be the typical time for given CPUs to reach some stage.

However in neither case could I relate the data in Prime95's results.txt file (similar to the on-screen progress, but less detailed to any performance standard for my CPU. I think the benchmark given in the reference DOA pointed to was 247 for Celeron 2.7GHz [seems pathetic cf 'common' CPU's !]) to the reference figures for my CPU. :confused

an example of a line, an item, from the results.txt file is "[Thu Aug 21 18:38:32 2014] <CR><LF> Self-test 1120K passed!" etc (from near the beginning)

6. Dumb_Question

Ran out of time while doing my edit.

I am concerned about speed because my internet is VERY slow (which I've posted about on a previous occasion, I think), and I think I've tried averything else, so I thought I'd check if my CPU was in good order.

I also attach the the results from the Prime95 window in the file. Perhaps someone can tell me how to relate my results to the CPU benchmark data for a 2.7GHz Celeron ?

BTW i was running Speedfan as active application while doing the Prime95 test, and AVG and who knows what else (processses and services). The temperature of the CPU when idling is about 28C, but rises to an average level of ~36C when Prime95 is running (CPU 100%), it's bit spiky at times but never goes above 40C.

Dumb_Question
    22.August.2014

Attached Files:

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. Dumb_Question

Hi, Satrow, good to see participating in this discussion as well.

I have been to the link you gave already (it's accessible from a link DOA gave) but I didn't read it through to the bottom, I just the 245 number and figured that was a guideline figure, say pm 10%.

I've been running Prime95 (paused at present), but the problem for me is bridging from results I've got to a single number which I hope will be >200 ??

Dumb_Question
    22.August.2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds