can't download certain exe files on public network in hospital

Discussion in 'Software' started by chucky8400, Aug 23, 2014.

1. chucky8400

chucky8400 Private E-2

hey, i have a problem that does my head in. iv'e been admitted to the hospital after a car crash and while i was just lying around here doing nothing i decided to format my computer. everything worked fine untill i needed to download winrar from the internet here. this is what i get after i try to download winrar from the original site.
    [​IMG]

if someone could provide me with a link of the winrar setupfile packed into a normal zip file i would be able to open that in windows.

thx in advance

i use win7 ultimate 32 bit on a hp pavillion dv7 3099sb, 4gb ram, amd turion x2 2.2ghz

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. chucky8400

chucky8400 Private E-2

TimW, thx for the reply but that doesn"'t solve anything for me...., i just explained that i can't download that EXE file from the internet, so providing me with the same link is useless.
    i need to get winrar packed in a zip file (ex: winrar.zip), any link to an exe file for me is useless, i cannot download it because of the network blocking it

4. chucky8400

chucky8400 Private E-2

just to avoid misunderstanding i wanted to add, that if i can get a link where the winrar setupfile is packed in a zipfile (.zip) i can unpack it with the windows zip compression which is standard nowadays in windows. if anyone would be so friendly to provide me with a link i would be gratefull.

thx in advance :)

5. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Don't know if this is allowed but I'll try. Hope you have a better hosp. stay than most!

Attached Files:

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Tim did not give you the same link; you used Rarlabs' download; Time gave you the download at Majorgeeks.

It is your antivirus software (Check Point) that is blocking the site as "malicious" - I don't think a reputable company like Rarlabs would offer infected downloads. Most likely your virus definitions are outdated.

7. chucky8400

chucky8400 Private E-2

as i already explained, i'm in a hospital using the network provided by the hospital, i use ms security essentials. check point is the virusscan used by this hospital. i would know if it was my virusscan mate. i am a computer technician. also i know now why they block these .EXE files, it's because of abuse on the provided wifi connection and since it's free i can't blame them for doing it. in the past several people have download mass amounts of software and applications putting a great load on their network. and the link provided by TimW was actually a link that pointed to the authors site this is the winrar 5 beta link provided by TimW; http://www.rarsoft.com/rar/wrar510.exe. i do not feel any grudge towards TimW though, i think he made a mistake in reading the original post.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  8. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Did you see that files that Imandy Mann posted in this thread (message #5)? He attached a zipped WinRar installer executable that you can download.

9. chucky8400

chucky8400 Private E-2

yes i did, and i already downloaded them, and also i already said thanks to him using the thank you button. i think it's safe to say that this thread should now be regarded as solved

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds