Wireless Network Bridge (How to...?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NicmaLauren, May 1, 2012.

1. NicmaLauren

NicmaLauren Private E-2

Hi folks,

First, advance apologies for:
    a) the lengthy post (but I feel it's necessary for you to understand what I'm trying to do here)
    b) posting if there is a relevant topic elsewhere (I couldn't find it, but feel free to post a link if you can).

Recently, I upgraded my router from a G-class to a N-class as the wireless signal wasn't reaching my PC in the far corner of the house. This has led to two problems:

1.)The new router uses WEP2 encryption which my wireless card seems to not understand. I have gotten round this by setting everything to a standard WEP encryption, but this isn't ideal. (Saying that, if we can solve my next problem I can live with it.)

2.) The signal still isn't strong enough.

So basically, what I want to do is set up a wireless bridge between my PC and the new router using the old router as the inbetween. Currently the PC is hardwired to the old router. Have tried a few websites but they all seem to be talking about a wired connection. Using ethernet cables between the two routers isn't an option due to the distance between them (and as I live in a rather cold and wet climate, running the cables along the outside of the house isn't an option either). How do I go about wirelessly linking the two routers so that my PC can access the internet?

A diagram incase I haven't explained my setup very well:

Telephone Socket------New Router ~~~Wireless Signal~~~ Old Router------PC

[--- indcates wiring, ~~~indicates wireless signal]

A step-by-step guide would be greatly appreciated if someone is willing because I'm really struggling to get this working.

Specs:
    OS = Windows XP SP3
    New Router = Thompson SpeedTouch TG582n (aka O2 Wireless Box V)
    Old Router = Thompson SpeedTouch TG585v7 (aka O2 Wireless Box II)

Any other info or specs needed, please let me know and I'll supply.

Thanks in advance,

NicmaLauren

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

If it helps any, repeater or access point is probably more accurate and might have more info online. I'll have to look up those routers, see if the old one will work as a repeater.

I had a similar issue and ended up using powerline to get a nice, steady signal to the other end of the house. It's working well and my son doesn't come and glare at me anymore!

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  3. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

not the best source.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. NicmaLauren

NicmaLauren Private E-2

Thanks very much for your quick response handygal. Perhaps the reason I couldn't find anything before was because I was looking under the wrong terminology. I'm away this evening but will try following the guide when I get in tomorrow and will let you know how I get on.

NicmaLauren

5. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

I too will apologize for the length of this response...

Setting up a router off of a router is probably not going to work on your old router. New routers will allow you to mesh off of eachother, but I doubt your old router will have that capability. 2 suggestions...

1) On the new router, are you broadcasting 2.4ghz or 5 ghz? 5 ghz may be the new technology and you'll think your getting the better technology, but a HUGE limitation to 5ghz band is that it does not carry well. It is highly restricted by walls and distances. 2.4ghz carries much better. If your using 5, try going with 2.4ghz and see if your signal is any better.

2) I've heard the powerline devices work really well to get data to a specific room. You could use the powerline stand alone, or connect an AP to it to extend your wireless.

FYI: If you get a wireless "Range extender" you half your throughput every time you mesh. Meshing is connecting a wireless device off of a device that is off of another wireless device. So to use your design....

Modem-----Wireless router~~~~~~~Range Extender~~~~~~~PC
    (300mbs) (150mbs)

So if you added another Range extender, the PC would get 75mbs. This also is not considering what you would loose based on signal strength.

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I have two 5 year old routers set in repeater mode in a long warehouse for wireless barcode scanners. They work fine but were difficult to get setup initially. I wouldn't chose that method again. The wired access points we also have are much more reliable in our environment.

I looked at a lot of info on that modem/router and there are several variations available. There is also a lot of interchanging of the terms bridging, repeating and access points. People use the terms interchangeably but they have specific definitions. I can't determine if your old router has a repeater function. It does have several advanced functions and it's possible that trying the several sets of varying instructions I have found would give you a version that works.

PrivatePile is right, N has serious limitations. My wireless G router had better range than the newer N model, even switched to 2.4Mhz.

I need to go back and look who recommended that I get powerline to extend my network -- they deserve at least a big high-five. I had it about 12 years ago when it was 10-base-T. Today's version syncs itself and runs 300Mbps. Instead of using a wireless adapter with a high-gain antenna on an older desktop and hoping the signal holds, I am hard wired in and always running without interference. Fantastic technology! I've used it in the office to make a temporary desk for visitors, for a multi-media display, for a car show and for our annual open house.

As for encryption, you really should be using WPA2 instead of WEP. I had the same problem with my wireless card. What is your wireless card?

7. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

8. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

Are you using home AP's (netgear, linksys) or are you doing enterprise level AP's (Ruckus, Meru, Cisco)?

The reason I ask is cause I do enterprise level wireless as my full time job, and I have gotten N at 2.4ghz to cover a 15,000 sqft warehouse area. Granted there is no interference, but I rarely have issues with 2.4ghz carrying. It sounds to me like it might just be differences in the 2 routers/antennas. 2.4ghz should carry almost identical, regardless of N vs G. I was just wondering what product you were having issues with.

9. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

The AP's in the warehouse are fab, they are enterprise level Cisco.

I have another set of Ruckus with a controller unit in a remote office/warehouse.

The repeaters are in another pair of warehouses at another location.

I'm starting to sound a little scattered. Much of this has been brought in by vendors as their preferred setup packages. This is how they want to support it, I don't argue. I can work with what they choose.

The G to N router change at home, not so impressive. Since the wireless covers the main part of the house just fine, I haven't bothered tinkering much. I had the powerline devices to test them anyway, i really like them.

10. NicmaLauren

NicmaLauren Private E-2

Thanks for all your responses folks.

I'm sure that using a powerline-type setup would probably work, however as I have the old routers just sitting around I thought it was worth seeing if they could be utilised before forking out for something new.

As my other wireless devices appear to have no problem picking up the signal I think I could safely assume that the problem is my network card (an old Belkin 54g thing that I put in circa 2005). This computer is long overdue a rebuild anyway, so will probably end up with a new card as well in the not-too-distant future.

NicmaLauren

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds