Failed XP SP2 file removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by kelnav, Nov 30, 2008.

1. kelnav

kelnav Private E-2

SP2 downloaded form Windows Update but failed to install properly (crashed system).
    I System Restored to the day before, went back to Windows Updated which shows SP2 downloaded, clicked Install but it fails to do so, gives an error message.
    Can't uninstall SP2 as it is not installed, can't re-download. I have downloaded all other available updates separately, the actual SP2 file download was 70MB instead of 266MB for the full kit.
    Ideally, I'd like to erase the download (if I can find it in its cryptic form) and re-do.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Erm, why not install SP3 instead? The only thing I'm sure of is that you will have a ton of $uninstall files from the 'full kit' SP2 install. If those are still there then you could revert back to SP1 and start afresh. Other than that, I can't help. BTW, I have my SP's on CD, just in case. It's way better than going through the WU torture if one is really out of date.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

And a possible reason for the update crashing your system is malware..:(

5. kelnav

kelnav Private E-2

No malware, checked that. Also a recent complete format/reinstall.
    When I go to Windows Automatic Update, it doesn't show the SP3 in the choices. I thought I had to do SP2 before that.
    OK, when I get home later I'll check the Downloaded files and try the SP3 patch.
    Maybe I'll revert to an earlier restore point.

Thanks, as usual.

6. kelnav

kelnav Private E-2

Downladed SP3 but about halfway through extraction it says "corrupt files".
    Tried SP2, same thing!

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Where are you trying to save to? If C drive,try saving to another drive or CD. May be something on C blocking it.

8. kelnav

kelnav Private E-2

I never thought of that, I'll try it.
    Just curious what might be blocking it, I reformatted and re-installed XP Pro last night so it should be about as "virgin" a drive as you get.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds