I hate tv

Discussion in 'Software' started by sheena, Dec 18, 2009.

1. sheena

sheena Corporal

Hello, my electronics consultants. :) I know there is someone here who can help me.
    I have hated television for quite awhile. Almost everything decent and thoughtful has been replaced by atrocious violence/ or so called reality shows in which lying and manipulating are extolled as virtues. The final straw came when my damnable cable co. charged me $70 for service calls when I just called to report area problems. I pay them $20 a month; I downgraded from a higher tier because I had 70 channels and there was still nothing on but junk. I now don't want to deal with them at all, because of the phony service chgs. and because I am noticing that companies in general have begun to clip me and my friends for bogus reasons. Anyone notice that nowadays? Anyway, I want to know if there are other ways to watch tv without using cable or satellite. Basically, can I use rabbit ears antenna? I don't want to watch via the computer. I don't have a digital tv, but having cable has kept the broadcasts coming. In this digital age, would rabbit ears still work?
    Sheena

2. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Yup! They most certainly do...

You might need a digital converter if your set doesn't receive digital signals on it's own but I was surprised to know that I picked up almost 50 digital channels with the old fashioned rabbit ears.

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Right - you will need a digital converter (they can be had for around 30 - 40 dollars US) and a decent antenna. I bought a multi-directional flat panel antenna for around 30 dollars US, and I get about 35 stations with it.

Not sure where you live - I live about 30 miles from the capital of my state, so I may be in a good position to receive more "broadcast" channels then someone who lives farther away from a major broadcast hub.

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds