Adding XP Home or Vista Home Premium to Domain

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Creativeballance, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Creativeballance

Creativeballance Private First Class

Any idea how to do it? Anyone know of a mod or something that'll work?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

3. Creativeballance

Yeah, figured that to be the case. I can't get my vista machine or xp machines to see the ubuntu samba server I set up. I think it's because they need to join a domain, or get the ubuntu to join a workgroup (which I don't know if it's possible).

4. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

I attempted to setup a samba server before, but had difficulties trying to follow guides online. You may be better off trying the linux forum here, and see if they can help you there. I ended up just using a Windows ssh program that included an ftp program, and transferred everything that way.

5. Creativeballance

Yeah, I know there's easier ways of doing it. But I'm trying to teach myself some network building, but I'm on a budget. I think it might be worth while for me to just get my microsoft book for the server tests. I'm pretty sure it comes with a trial version of server that I can play with.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds