Wireless Internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smartslug, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Smartslug

Smartslug Private First Class

I need some help with an upcoming purchase. Im in the market for a used laptop. Something in the $400 range.

My main priorities are for word processing and wireless internet.

Im completely new to wireless internet and I have no idea how to set it up or what I should look for in a laptop (what wont work wireless, if a laptop has a wireless card etc.)

My PC does not have a wireless port, but it does have some sort of network port and 56k modem I think. Im running Rogers cable internet with a cable modem.

What are some things I need to look for? Things I have to buy?

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You would need a Router. The one I suggest is the Linksys WRT54G. That has 4 ethernet ports on it that can connect your current computer to the internet and it also has 802.11G wireless. The Laptop would be best if it had built in mini PCI wireless, preferably 802.11G although 802.11B would work. G is 5 times faster then B. If the Laptop doesn't have a built in card, then a PCMCIA adapter would work well. The one I like is the Trendnet TEW-441PC. It is compatable with A, B and G networks and can run at Super G speed which is 108mbs as opposed to regular G which is 54mbs. I like this particular card because it is directly compatible with Linux and is the same basic card as the Linksys WPC55AG but less then half the price.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds