Norton Removal Tool not running...

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm having problems left and right today with downloads I use all the time without any problems. One is ComboFix and I started a separate thread for it, and now the Norton Removal Tool is acting up. The screen shot below says it all.

Attached Files:

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I downloaded SymNRT from MG, Symantec, and another site (Softpedia maybe?) and they all do the same thing, so I tried it on a different PC, and I did NOT get the error, it worked fine. So, what's the deal with "the file is not signed"? What does that mean and how do I fix it?

3. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

Which version of the NRT did you download?

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I downloaded the version that is here at Major Geeks, and I downloaded the one from Symantec's web site that removes Norton 2003-2008, and I downloaded the same one from a different site, and they all give the same error: "this file is not signed" but they work on other PCs. What is "not signed" and how do I fix it?

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for the link! The 2nd link in that link links to a Symantec link that installs an ActiveX component that repairs the 'not signed' issue. Luckily, in this particular situation I was able to get online, but I have another PC here that would NOT go online until Norton was removed, but symNRT ran on that one so it was all good.... THANKS!
    :-D

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

dlb, glad it worked for you. :) Yes, I knew that you would have to go on to several links to get the final solution since I followed the path down to Symantec but then I stopped. Didn't know which version or whatever you would need. Thought that by giving you the first link would lead you to the desired goal anyway. :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds