System very slow to resume after Hibernating--Plzzzz help...

Discussion in 'Software' started by jaishankar, Dec 20, 2010.

1. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

I have P-IV system with 2.8 GHz and 2 GB RAM and 80 GB HDD i have installed windows XP SP3 in it i always hibernate my system, the problem is it takes atleast 3-4 mins to resume from hibernation:( , so i think its better to shutdown rather to hibernate coz its faster compared to hibernation:-D

2. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

i tried with SP2 also but the problem is the same, is there any tweak to be done plz help

3. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

somebody plz help

4. xspankyx

xspankyx Private E-2

don't hibernate? I don't know what else to tell you because I don't know why it would take so long it to come out of hibernation. I put my PC to sleep all the time and it comes back to life within a second. How old is your system? How much free memory is left on your 80GB?

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Sleep is different from hibernate.

When you sleep a computer, all components apart from the CPU and RAM (normally) are shut down to their lowest power state, which is normally off. The RAM stays on to hold the state of the system as it was when you pressed the sleep button, and the CPU stays on to keep the RAM on and to process the wake up instruction from the wake button or keyboard/mouse etc.

When you hibernate a computer, the contents of the RAM are written to the hard drive and the computer is shut down fully, as if you pressed shut down. When the computer is turned back on, the contents of RAM that were written to the hard drive are returned to the RAM and the system loads as if it was never turned off.

The slow part of hibernate compared to sleep is that when you hibernate a computer the hard drive must be used to read the system state back to RAM. Therefore I suggest the OP investigates hard drive slowness issues. I have no further pointers on how to do this, but I am sure someone else here will be along with some tips.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

One possible cause may be that your hard drive doesn't have much room left and possibly it is also heavily fragmented. How much free space do you have?

7. xspankyx

xspankyx Private E-2

Gotcha. My mistake. I'm running W7 and it doesn't have the option for me to hibernate, just sleep. Thank you! :)

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

No Problem.

I thought Win 7 came with hibernation enabled by default? Ah well, maybe not.

@OP: Perhaps you could try http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ to see if there are any problems with your hard drive. Post back if you need instructions on use.

9. Earthling

My understanding is that on laptops it generally does, but on desktops the default is usually Hybrid Sleep, in which the system state is preserved both in RAM and on hard disk while powered on. You can change this to Hibernation but you have to choose one or the other.

10. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

OK, Thanks:)

11. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

can we turn the main power off after putting the computer to sleep

12. Earthling

No, shut it down properly. You can after hibernation though. Now how about an answer to the Q. in #6?

13. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I agree with Earthling and Collins that hard drive issues are the most probable cause of the slowness,
    and this is something that can be improved to some extent.

First thing I suggest:
    Change the default setting for the amount of disk space used by System Restore.
    The default is 12% of available disk space when you install Windows XP which is probably more than you need.
    The minimum required is 200MB, but I recommend anywhere from 2000MB to 3000MB.
    The following page about System Restore will explain how to change the Settings.
    It includes images of the dialog boxes you will see.
    System Restore

Next:
    Download and install the latest version of CCleaner Slim:
    CCleaner Slim
    Run the Cleaner only with the default settings, however, do look over what History type items will be removed such as:
    • On the Windows tab, Internet Explorer History,
    • On the Windows Explorer tab, Recent Documents
    • Also, on the Applications tab, Internet History for the Web Browsers listed
    • Other Histories under Applications and Multimedia

As already mentioned, defragmenting the hard disk can help.
    Currently my favorite disk defragmenter is Puran Defrag Free Edition which is popular amoung MG members.
    Also Very good are My Defrag and Contig from Sysinternals.

Create a new defragmented Hibernation file:
    You can also Turn OFF Hibernation, reboot and then turn Hibernation back ON,
    as this will cause a new hiberfil.sys to be created which could also be fragmented.

14. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

nobody answered my query can we turn the main power off after putting the system to sleep:)

15. Earthling

I answered it in #12

16. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

i didnt get your point in that post:(

17. Earthling

You asked if you could turn the power off after putting the computer to sleep and I answered no, you should not. If you want to turn the power off use either Shut Down or Hibernation, not Sleep. All sleep does is put RAM and a few other things in a low power state, and if you then power off the contents are lost and the system will treat it as an improper shutdown.

18. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

thats what i have asking for:-D, this doubt had been troubling for a long time u resolved it thanks:drool

19. jaishankar

jaishankar Private E-2

still the problem is unsolved

20. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/russel_02march25.mspx
    You aren't going to change the way windows works. If hibernate takes too long, then don't use this "feature". I never put my computers to sleep nor hibernate.
    If I'm gone for a bit, I turn off the monitor on a desktop or shut the lid on a laptop. If I know I'll be gone for more than a few hours, I turn the computers off.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds