Another problem with wife's machine

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shadowchaser, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

First her specs....

HP Pavilion 510C (off the shelf, open box)
    CPU: 1.3 Ghz Intel Celeron 32 Kb Memory Cache 256 Kb Secondary Cache
    MOBO: Trigem Computer, Inc. Lomita
    BIOS: Phoenix 3.06 12/15/2001
    Bus Clock: 100 Mhz
    HD: WDC WD 600BB-00CAA1 60 GB
    Memory: Slot1: 256 MB Slot2: 256 MB
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 32 MB
    SOUND: SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio
    NIC: Realtek RTL8139

Started out running Pest Patrol and deleted files specified there. After the reboot she lost the WAN but had the LAN (let me specify the setup we have here, have 5 systems running a conglomeration of Win XP and 98SE networked through a 4 port Linksys Router BEFSR41 and an 8 port Office Connect 3 Comm hub <two 98SE systems connect to the router via the hub>, which is connected to the WAN <Internet> through our Cable modem). The hub was NOT connected when the problem first occured.

Reinstalled windows (the subject of my first post on this problem about a month ago), ran fine for about 2 to 3 weeks and then started to reboot on it's own. Then ran adaware and deleted files through that, lost both the LAN and the WAN this time. Reinstalled windows and still had reboot problems (but recovered the LAN and WAN). Have updated windows and virus scanner (McAfees) and updated and ran on regular basis. This last install she has started from scratch once again with a full reformat (not the MBR tho) and partitioning along with a clean install from the Win XP upgrade disk w/o input of the 98SE disk. Any ideas??? I've not got a clue at this point.

One other item, before this began she was "losing" her A Drive and her CD Rom Drives (both the 48x and the writable). These would always come back after a reboot though. She has not lost them since the first reinstall. Don't have restore disks as HP no longer sends them with the system (on HD but did not know that when we wiped the disk the first time shortly after buying the system). Again, any help will be appreciated (if I'm not careful Kodo will give me a whining title OH NO!!!!).

Wraith

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

did you grab any updates for the HP after you installed XP?
    Bios updates? software updates?

3. Shadowchaser

Not at this time m8. Last time we checked there were none for her machine. I don't like to do BIOS upgrades unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. Never upgraded the BIOS before and have not upgraded it on my machine either.

Wraith

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

depending on the age of the machine, it could fix things.. check the bios notes and see if there are any relevant updates to the system.

5. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Probably sounds ridiculous but have you checked the CMOS battery?

6. Shadowchaser

there is no update to the bios. Dont think it is the cmos battery because i dont have to reset my cmos when it is shut off for a extended period of time, also when i reboot to get the drives back i dont have to adjust c-mos

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

chipset updates?

8. Shadowchaser

this is his wife how would i check the chipset updates? if on the hp page there is none.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds