Should I buy Apple or Windows Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rtracy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. rtracy

rtracy Private E-2

We have a Compaq Presario computer, and are getting an error that our hard drive is in imminent danger. We can't get it to do anything, and have decided to get a new one. We are hoping they will be able to get our files out. We are trying to decide whether to get an Apple or a Windows computer. I have an iPhone and ipad. My son has the same, and my husband works out of the house and uses a windows laptop, with a docking station. I have looked at Apple computers, windows computers with tower, and windows all-in-one computer. The computer would mostly be used for photos, personal files, and surfing the Internet. I would need to also use Office. I'm confused at what kind I should get...too many choices. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Really purchase what your budget affords, not what others think you should own. My son & I both own Toshiba Satellite C850D series laptops, and use them all of the time. Not because we wanted Windows 8, but because our budget was that we would not spend more than $300 to have laptops. I have no issue with using Windows 8, other then you have to get past the Metro crap, other then that it is just like using Windows 7, once you are in the Desktop.

If you are planning on being a part of that 1% and have $1500 to spend on a machine, then I say go for the Mac. Otherwise if you do not have $1500 to spend on a laptop, go with a machine that will allow you to have a decent Graphics Processor, CPU, and be able to max RAM out to either 16 or 32GB.

3. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I think she's wondering what has the best ratio, of cost:benifet
    why get a $1500 laptop over $300?
    does it run that much faster?
    are the graphics so much better they warrant spending so much more? (just cause you have $2k working to keep your table level, doesnt mean you want to spend it on a computer to be super amped for speed/memory, you'll never utilize)O

Understandable if you are gamer/playing WOW, etc, but
    to surf the net and Office, how much "speed" or the lastest OS do you need?
    I would still be using XP if my friend, who made my computer, had it and instead gave me windows 7 PRO
    which isnt as good, but I can't be bothered to change it, cause i just use my computer for what the OP uses hers for.

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you are comfortable with Windows, I would stick with it.

No offense against Mac fans, but a mid-line Windows PC usually costs about half as much. In addition, you may be able to reuse existing software licenses (such as MS-Office) versus shelling out for new Mac OS software.

5. rtracy

rtracy Private E-2

I am comfortable with windows, because ive never used an Apple. I've just got different opinions from friends. It seems like they either love the Apple products because they are so user friendly, and they never have problems with them. Or, others don't like them because you are so tied to Apple, and don't have as many options as a Windows computer. I don't mind spending more for an Apple, also. I'm probably thinking about it too much, and should just make a decision, and go with it! If I go with a Windows, what do you all think about Windows 8?

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, rtracy.

I'm not going to get into the Apple vs. Microsoft debate - as you and the others have already mentioned there are pros and cons either way. I do recommend that you visit a local computer store and experiment with the different machines and operating systems - no sense spending your hard-earned money for something unfamiliar.

Window 8 is a good platform and will get better with time. Apple's OS X is also very good. Whatever you decide, good luck!

7. oxooxo

oxooxo Private First Class

Hi.
    If you are happy with Widows why no build your own computer, It's no so difficult and you would get loads of help here on the forum, a good i7 CPU plus m/b and memory, everything else you can get for peanuts on Ebay.
    Go on have a go.

8. teribithia

teribithia Private E-2

In your situation I suggest you buy a windows PC. As transfer from PC platform to MAC is uncomfortable.

9. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you're going to stay with a Windows PC, I, personally, prefer Windows 8.1 to Windows 8. The slight changes that came with the update made 8.1 much more palatable. Plus, you've got documents that were done in Microsoft products.

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Depends on the person and how they set their mind. Really it is not that bad, once you learn the differences.

My wife's grandmother is in her 90's, and went from a Windows machine to a Mac, and had no problem swapping from the two interfaces.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'd say the transition in the opposite direction is more difficult, though neither of them are hard.

12. Jackson2014

Jackson2014 Private E-2

If you want to use the touch screen feature or at least have it available for if you decide to move to using a touch screen enabled monitor, Win8.1 is the way to go for sure. It is designed for touch screen use. Other than that, one might consider that support from Microsoft for Win8.1 will continue longer into the future than for Win7. Support for WinXP was just discontinued this past April. ..... It sounds like Win9 may be coming out next year some time and you may decide to upgrade to it if it offers any features you want. You may not be able to do that upgrade from Win7, but likely will be able to from Win8 or Win8.1.

13. Thehoneybee

Thehoneybee Private E-2

For your usage cost wise you would look at Windows. Set a budget and look for the best you can get at that price that does what you want. It is not hard to swap, Apple tends to be different just for the sake of it and gives you less control, which does not bother some people and drives others insane (that would be me).

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

OS X actually has more control. You just cannot be scared of the terminal.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds