Screen captures from games consoles

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ronald_Young_At_RCAT, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Ronald_Young_At_RCAT Private E-2

Hi, does anyone know how a website such as IGN would get screen captures from current gen consoles?
    Does it involve a special device or a simple cable across to a PC? Obviously getting screen captures from old consoles such as the Megadrive and NES is easy because of emulators, but I am really keen on taking quality images from my PS2, Xbox, PS3, Wii etc.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

The simplest ways at home involve recording to a DVD, or DVR, and pulling the images from there. Alternatively, you can get a video capture box which will use a USB plug to transmit the data to the computer. There are also video capture Cards which do something similar.

3. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Thank you for the reply. Could you please tell me how to get my consoles onto my DVD recorder. I have a good quality DVD/HD recorder but I'm not sure how I would get it to connect up to my PlayStation2/PlayStation3/Xbox360/Gamecube etc. Would it be something to do with putting the SCART cable into the DVD instead of straight into the TV?

4. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Most often they have video inputs either front, or rear. Some of them will allow you to use an S-Video cable. Are you using a composite or component cable? (3 prongs versus 5 prongs.)

5. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

It depends, I have all the consoles and the connectors vary on them all. I have Scart for most of them and I tried replacing the scart that connects my TV with the console scart cable and it worked. I saw the image and it recorded. The only problem is that Scart isn't the best quality signal, especially for the high definition consoles (I recorded PS3 and 360 in scart which is acceptable but not ideal). I usually use component in my HDTV for PS2/Wii/Xbox360 and HDMI for PS3. But I had to use my old SD TV for this job. I know there is isn't a way to record HD footage on my DVD recorder even though it does support HDMI.

6. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

It's likely Component is the best you'll get, without a new DVD recorder.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds