mouse TOUCHPAD not responding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by khc, Sep 13, 2014.

1. khc

khc Private E-2

Hi, my mousepad doesnt respond to my taps or swipes. If i hold down the left button of the touchpad then i can move the mouse around by the touchpad. But it wont move on its own. Been acting up for about a month. Computer is a bit slow loading up & opening programs. Something similar happened before so i suspected it was a virus. Only thing i've been doing is watching movies via Netflix & downloading songs via Youtube. Mouse works in Safe Mode. Tried scanning & scanning w/ different programs but nothing. Ive went through the "Read & Run" for malware & a technician said theres no sign of malware & to try posting here so here i am.

Thanks in advance.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Malware thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=288117
    nothing was found.

That would point to a wrong driver problem because minimal drivers are loaded in safe mode.

What is the brand and exact model pf the laptop?

3. khc

khc Private E-2

Its a Toshiba Satellite C75D-A. How would the driver start being a problem? An update? I dont remember any driver update being installed recently. :confused

4. Bleepimus

Bleepimus Private E-2

Try updating the touchpad driver. Not necessarily the latest, try something at least later than what's installed there. I assume an external mouse works?

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you, by any chance, upgrade your OS? I went from XP to Vista and my Alps Touchpad driver and software for my Dell Precision M70 have compatibility issues with Vista. I tried to get a Vista driver and was presented with one for a Toshiba laptop that didn't have the features I need.

6. plodr

Drivers and even Windows get corrupted. If anyone knew why, we'd make sure the corruption never occurred.
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200005642
    shows Elan, ALPS and Synaptic drivers. Check your hardware and current driver version.

You also failed to mention what version of Windows you are running. It is a good idea to include in a post or put the specs in your signature.

This helped someone in the Toshiba forum when the touchpad went weird.

7. khc

khc Private E-2

Deeply apologize for the wait on my response. These last few days have been pretty hectic.:-o

8. khc

khc Private E-2

I just went on the support website plodr gave me & i have the latest verison installed (17.0.8.1) & the latest update they have is 16.4.2.8. I read a few other posts w/ my issues & the external mouse worked for a bit but ended up having the same problems. So i thought i would save myself a headache & not go out & get one. Maybe Ill get one tomorrow though.

No definitely not.

Yes, sorry, i just realized from the last user's reply. I'm using Windows 8. Going to try the tip you just posted & see what happens.

9. plodr

No problem - we all have lives and we learn not to expect a response immediately.
    Read and do what you can, when you can.

10. khc

khc Private E-2

Thanks for being so understanding. I've reset the setup to its default. No change.

11. khc

khc Private E-2

Sorry, I went on the wrong page. The latest update they have is 17.0.4.1 on Aug 07 '13. My file version is from Aug 23 '13.

Question, inside of my device manager there is an option to update the driver. Should I go ahead & try that?

12. rmiller943

rmiller943 Private E-2

Have you tried going into the device manager, uninstalling the driver and restarting the laptop?

13. plodr

What version does your driver show?

14. khc

khc Private E-2

No, I'll go & try that now.

My version is 17.0.8.1.

15. khc

khc Private E-2

Okay i've uninstalled & restarted the computer. No change.:banghead

16. plodr

Check the driver version it is using now, please.

I'm not sure where you got the driver but since it is not on the manufacturer's hardware page for your laptop, I'd say you should not be using that particular version.

Try a driver rollback.

17. khc

khc Private E-2

Okay before the rollback it was 17.0.8.21 & now it has rolled back to 6.3.9600.16384. That's also not on the manufacturer's website.

18. plodr

19. khc

khc Private E-2

Okay, I turned my laptop on today, after 4 days of hiding it out of frustration, and the mouse is working. How? Why? I have no idea. I didnt do anything after the last attempt to repair it. I guess I'll give it a few days to see if the change is permanent.

20. khc

khc Private E-2

Also kind of hesitant to restart it..:confused

21. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Was that last repair installing the latest driver as plodr suggested on the 22nd (4 days ago)?

I'm glad it's working :) but, if the problem arises again, you may wish to follow her suggestion.

22. plodr

Just check to see what driver is being used.
    If it is the version 6, make sure you archive that driver if that is the one that is working.

I rarely install updated drivers if things work. I never allow MS to install any hardware drivers. I go to the manufacturers page and check for an updated driver only if something is starting to act up.

23. khc

khc Private E-2

No, the last thing I did was rollback the driver to version 6. I didnt update it as plodr suggested. I will definitely come back if this mouse acts up again.

Ok, how to archive the driver? I wont update anymore drivers from now on. I will bookmark the manufacturers page also.

Thank you so much everyone who helped me out!

24. plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds