Upgrading graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pratt1085, Oct 1, 2014.

1. pratt1085

pratt1085 Private E-2

Hi all, kinda new to these forums but used this site last time and got some top advise so would appreciate some of the same :) , its my birthday tomorrow and I have £70 to spend on upgrading my pc, as I have a 9800GT graphics card and starting to have to run every game in low settings this is where Im going to start, so my budget for a graphics card is the full £70.

My specs at present:
    ASROCK H61M-VS Socket 1155 S/L M-ATX Motherboard
    Intel Core i3 2120 3.3 GHz Processor Dual Core
    Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9B RAM Module - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - DDR3
    Corsair CX430 430WATT ATX power supply

Now I tried to do a little research myself regarding an upgrade and using the following list seems to represent the best value for money I can get:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

Been looking at the Radeon HD 6970 and they go for around £70 mark on some places, my questions are this:

1. Is this the best I will be able to get with my budget?
    2. On one seller they said "Please note this card is long and will not fit into small or HTPC cases, you need a full size ATX case and it requires a high quality 550 watt (or better) power supply to function correctly!"

My motherboard is quite small and also the ram sticks seem to be rather close to the graphics card slot, also my power supply is only 430 watt which is why I have my doubts that I will be able to even use this card.

Regards Paul.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your £70 or more will go on the 550 watt or higher PSU you'd need for the graphics card. Without the upgraded PSU, you'd burn out your 430 watt PSU. And, there's the size of the card to consider. See what the requirements for the Radeon R7 260 are.

3. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

How much bigger than your motherboard is your case? From what I can find the card is 11 inches long. That's probably a bit bigger than your current card. Look at http://www.wsgf.org/book/export/html/18134 to see a size comparison with it and a few smaller cards.

And as for the PSU, if you're going to push the card to its full potential by gaming then having enough power is essential to keep the BSODs from happening.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds